AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to get a connection to the Ruby (VW100) within a RS-232 cross cable?

I have searched through quite a number of threads and found no concrete answer. Someone said he has succesfully connect to the Ruby by connecting it to the router but he did not state his settings. I tried it with my Linksys router and nothing happens. The funny thing is that when you set the Ruby to Auto DHCP and press Apply, the menu just stop responding! I have also tried manually enter everything but with no luck.

Yes, I have tried the USB to RS-232 cable but just like everyone else, it failed!

I actually have a RS-232 crossed null modem cable but I don't have a laptop to run it with.....

This is my last shot to get it working probably because ever since I bought this PJ, I have only put 250hrs on it. The picture is simply not acceptable when compared to my Sharp z12000!

Anyone who has both a Ruby and a Z12000 please tell me if I should just go grab a z20000 and be done with it or the Ruby can be calibrated to outperform the Z12K.

Any comments on getting the gamma right is welcomed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The reason I need to use ImageDirector is because I am having a problem that MarkH was having with his VW60. In the dark scenes, there is some kind of macro-blocking thing that appears to be purple and green sploches. I have tried everything that I could with no results unless turn down the brightness and crush the blacks.

Why I think it's the gamma? because when I measure it, it appears to be very low say 1.5 and if that is the case and I used other parameter to balance out the effect of a super low gamma, I might end up see what I see here.

Any help is welcome.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've connected to Pearl using ImageDirector and custom software I wrote for automatic gamma setup. I had few failed attempts before I figured out the right settings.

I think Ruby and VW60 should have similar RS232 settings.

This one worked:

38400, Parity.Even, 8 /*bits*/, StopBits.One

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Victor.

I know I am not going to get much response since the vw-100 is considered old and outdated. And with no pictures, even less.

You know what, I have a gamma of 1.3 since day 1 when the pj is just out of the box!

The black is not black so I am hoping the ID will correct the problem and make this pj worth watching!

Thanks again for the hint.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts