AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on buying a Samsung HLM507W as soon as they start shipping. For those of you that do not know, it is a DLP tabletop rear projection television. It measures around 47" wide.

I know this is a little off topic, but.... I need to get a TV stand for this unit. I have a window on either side of where the television will be placed, so I can not put any A/V racks beside the TV/Stand. This means that I have to put all of the components either on top of or under the TV. This has led me to the conclusion that I need a TV stand that is in the 47 - 52" width range and can store 6-8 audio/video components. My wife and I plan on trying to have children soon, so I will need an enclosed tv stand preferrably with glass doors (something the remotes can penetrate - locks would be a bonus). The only thing that I have been able to find that fits my requirements is a Salamander Designs unit, but it would run $1400. I just can not justify spending close to 1/2 the cost of the television on the piece of wood that it sits on. Does anyone know of a company that makes anything that would suit me (for a reasonable price)?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
My advice is to not worry about buying a stand for this product until there is a shred of evidence you can actually buy the TV and put it in your living room.

You need to budget $500-1000 for the stand, however, if you want that kind of width, doors, locks, etc. and an iota of quality.

Mark

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
MidniteArrow,

I use the salamander archetype system. It's fully adjustable and open. To keep my two kids out of it I went to home depot and picked up some eye bolts and nuts that fit on the threaded support columns (check out the archetype and you'll see what I mean). I put the eye bolts on the columns for the equipment I was most worried about (in this case my amp and pre-amp) at the top and bottom of both the left and right column (four eyebolts in total) with the threaded bolt sticking out the front. I then picked up a piece of plexi-glass large enough to cover the components, drilled four holes to line up with the eyebolts and attached the plexi-glass to the bolts with acorn nuts. It looks pretty good and does a good job of protecting the front from thrown balls and spilled liquid. You could put plexi-glass all the way around if you wanted. Total cost for the "door" was less than $30.

In a previous incarnation I just put eyebolts on one side so that it could swing open.

The good thing is that when my kids are bigger I plan on pulling it off and having a good looking completely open rack.

-phil

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.