AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dedicated server which I store all my videos. I also have an HTPC upstairs connected to a TV. Some of the files are too large and stutters when I stream over the network. Smaller files works fine, but I suspect that the router is being overloaded as I have over 15 devices connected to it. My only option is getting another router and connecting the server and HTPC simultaneously with 2 wireless adapter.

My question is will connecting two wireless adapters on the same computer through 2 different routers work? Or is there a better option to increase my home network? BTW, both computers are located in different rooms and going wired is not an option. Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyukang
I have a dedicated server which I store all my videos. I also have an HTPC upstairs connected to a TV. Some of the files are too large and stutters when I stream over the network. Smaller files works fine, but I suspect that the router is being overloaded as I have over 15 devices connected to it. My only option is getting another router and connecting the server and HTPC simultaneously with 2 wireless adapter.

My question is will connecting two wireless adapters on the same computer through 2 different routers work? Or is there a better option to increase my home network? BTW, both computers are located in different rooms and going wired is not an option. Thanks in advance..
Most likely cause is network interference, not speed.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MlNDBOMB
just to be clear, this is a wired network?
I think its wireless. From above...

Quote:
My only option is getting another router and connecting the server and HTPC simultaneously with 2 wireless adapter.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You should be able to open the Resource Manager on the computer while the file/movie is streaming and see what the Network load is. It may be something else, like interference on the wirless signal causing the stuttering and not the network capacity itself.

Can you buy a roll of CAT5 and temporarily run it (along the hall, up the stairs, etc. - I even did this once running the cable out the window and back into another window) from the server to the upstairs computer to see if that fixes the problem?

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyukang
going wired is not an option. Thanks in advance..
That's a major limitation.

U first need to find out how WIFI-noisy your environment is, if u got a lot of neighbors with their WIFI networks, ur done for, fergit WIFI, go Moca or similar.

So ahead, find out, u need a table of all the WIFI AP u can detect, what channels are they using and what strength. Go from there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I'm trying to do it get the best possible speeds with minimal interference. I have a 3D Tv and some files are 40gb, will I be able to achieve this with a MOCA setup? Don't want to spend $200 and later find out it still stutters.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Rule of 3 (applies to just about everything):

It can be any 2 of the following - cheap, quality or easy. If you went wired it would be guaranteed to be cheap and quality but you'd have some holes to drill or wires hidden under carpets. If you insist on wireless then it will not be cheap to get to where you want.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Heh our minds work differently in terms of money. $200 is not considered cheap in my mind. Hell, $100 isn't either for this. A proper gigabit switch and a few lengths of cable will be under $50. To me, that is a good example of cheap and will yield great quality.

I do agree though, buy from Amazon and see how it works. If it's substandard, look towards other means.

·
Registered
527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyukang /forum/post/20889324

In answer to your last question, two wireless adapters probably won't work as it's unlikely you can team them. They must be teamed and work together as a single unit to gain any benefit from two network channels.

I've tried the wireless streaming path and it's very painful. The only way you are going to get solid performance streaming large files (say blu-ray) is by using very good wireless-n routers, such as the Netgear WNDR-3700's or looking into some of the new 3x3 stuff. Also with all the devices you have around you are also going to have a lot of interference as well.

Too bad wired is not an option because it's really the only gauranteed solution you are going to get. I solved my wireless problems... I bought a gig switch and wired with cat 6.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyukang /forum/post/20890717

What I'm trying to do it get the best possible speeds with minimal interference. I have a 3D Tv and some files are 40gb, will I be able to achieve this with a MOCA setup? Don't want to spend $200 and later find out it still stutters.

MOCA is definately your best option. I use it at home to stream movies up to 20gb without a problem. I get speeds around 60 to 80 Mb/s, but there are a few factors that will affect your speed. If you split your cable signal a dozen different ways the signal will degrade. Also the quality of your coaxial cable can be a factor. Signal amplifiers can interfere with MOCA also.

Still, even the worst connection with MOCA will be better than the best possible wireless connection.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshaw88 /forum/post/20892476

MOCA is definately your best option. I use it at home to stream movies up to 20gb without a problem. I get speeds around 60 to 80 Mb/s, but there are a few factors that will affect your speed. If you split your cable signal a dozen different ways the signal will degrade. Also the quality of your coaxial cable can be a factor. Signal amplifiers can interfere with MOCA also.

Still, even the worst connection with MOCA will be better than the best possible wireless connection.

I hope you meant 60 - 80 MB/s... 60 - 80 Mb/s is really pushing it for High Def. media (specifically bluray material). That comes out to 7.5 - 10 MB/s which will definitely have stuttering issues at some point or another depending on what is being watched.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.