AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I bought this house 6 Months ago as a retirement house ; everthings on one level; I love it. Unfortunately my daughters and wife decided that they needed a little more room when they came over with the grandkids. After 4 months of weekend work I now have a 25footX22foot room. My wife and daughters decided that an HDTV would be perfect in there.

The room has nine foot ceilings and the floors are 3/4 inch oak. The room can be completlely sealed and the floors only have wool rugs on them. Other than my punching bag and a couple of computers we have a sharp 35 inch SD TV. From

reading the forum suggestions I bought the XR55 reciver and Fluance SX HTB speakers. I am happy with the way these work together. I will buy an HDTV before Christmas when the 1080P's are all out and Christmas sale prices are low.

My wife wants a theater like experience so I told her we need a subwoofer. No doubt she is thinking along the lines of the subwoofers on the computers. I however am thinking along the lines of a SVS PCI cylinder or the soon to come out HSU VTF 3 HO. Will either of these be OK with the Fluance speakers I have and will I need 2 subwoofers to really rattle my wife and cat. ( As a side note when I first got the Creative 4.1 560 speakers for the computer and the subwoofer hooked up I accidently had the volume almost pegged; the cat let out this horrifying scream and ripped up the back of my wifes new sofa rending a good part of it from said sofa. She hit the lamp knocking that over on the dog, who was also trying to get out of the room. The dog now pissed off chased the cat up the curtains and ending up pulling them down with the cat. God I am laughing right now just thinking about it. With the volume down the cat quit running but was afraid to leave the corner ;when he finally did go out, he did not return right away. In fact he was gone for 2 weeks and a neighbor brougt him in. He remains uncomfortable when a computer is near.]

I have around 5000 cu/ft to pressurize and the Fluance speakers actually sound quite good when watching movies or programs. Will a sub or subs that gives me good solid bass overpower the current speakers or will they play well together? Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Issues like room configuration, size and location of the subwoofer are much more important to the sound of your subwoofers than the issue of the subs blending in with the mains. Crossovers, equalizers, level controls are easy. Location of the subs to get best sound is much harder.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So just buy either one; tune it to the room and see if I need another. That I can do. Thanks

·
Registered
406 Posts
rachaelsdad: Just curious as to what Fluance speakers you have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.