AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read through many of the threads here. They are very helpful and I appreciate everyone's input and expertise. I'm new to the whole audiophile thing but have hit the research pretty hard so I've been able to get a bit familiarized. My interest is about 80% HT and 20% music. I am considering doing an addition to my house that would include a home theater with some serious stuff, maybe up to 50K or more, but that is perhaps in 6 months or so. For the time being I have been putting together a setup in a "great" room with high ceilings. It includes the living room with tv in front, then dining area and kitchen and hallway behind, all very open. It is 10000+ cubic feet.

I started by buying 2 definitive tech STS towers as they were a great deal open box at BB, $1700 for both. Then online I purchased two def tech gem XL's for the rears and a def tech CS8080 for center. I also purchased online a new Pioneer Elite SC 67 and some 12 G speaker wire from monoprice.

I am in my subwoofer research stage now. The funny thing is that I have not even heard any of the subs but have been incurring vicarious excitement by reading online anything I can sink my eyes into.

I have a pretty big WAF influencing the situation. She does not want to see a sub sitting out, as the STS towers are already driving her crazy, though the towers are indeed slim, sleek, and sexy. Fortunately in this house we purchased recently, there is a large tv niche, under which there is a compartment bounded by cement all around except upper and front walls, where there is dry-wall. My intention is to put the sub in the compartment, and have a carpenter cut out the front and place cheese-cloth or some aesthetically acceptable surface through which sound travels easily.

So now to the limitation. The compartment is wide (50"+) and reasonably deep (26") but is not very tall (16"). Every time I read about a killer subwoofer I look at the dimensions and grimace. I thought I was set when I decided to get a JL Fathom f212 and place it sideways, as I thought I would be able to get it for $3000 from *****************, but I was mistaken. I don't know if I would pay $4K for a subwoofer. 3K is a stretch. Perhaps someone will put up an f212 on audiogon at an acceptable price. Would it compromise the sound if I put it on its side? I believe it is forward-firing so that should not be an issue, right? Will there be any problem with the cement surroundings in the sub compartment with regard to acoustics? Perhaps I could buy two JL fathom f110s and place them side by side in the compartment, or would that pose a problem to have two subs firing right next to each other? There are so many other subs on the market, including some that might fit, like the sunfire subrosa (is that a good sub?). Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Most subwoofers have controls in the back, Given the sub placement, I would opt to go passive subs with external amplification. 16 inches height, your doomed :) , basicall your limited to 12 inch drivers, luckily its wide and you can go dual 12 or even triple 12 . yipee

·
Registered
241 Posts
I myself am a DefTech owner and love them. I'm glad you enjoy yours!

Now for the subwoofer. Your room/size constraints plus the WAF issue really will limit your "wow" factor possibilities when it comes to subwoofers.

At 16inch height there is nothing powerful that I personally know that would pressurize a room your size.

The JTR Captivator is a sub that is withing your budget and should give you the most out of your non-diy money. A passive Captivator would be able to work with you especially well since you can't easily reach the back of your future sub. An external amp will be helpful.

The problem is that the Captivator is huge.

You can try, as mentioned before, with multiple smaller subs, but I don't think you will get the wow factor.

Good luck!

Ray

·
Registered
237 Posts
You can fit three Rythmik F12s in that space and still be under $3000.

Cheers,

OldMovieNut

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Talk to the DIY crowd here . They should be able to help you spec out a custom ported sub box for two (maybe three) 12" TC Sounds LMS-R drivers. The LMS-R is a 1000w RMS, 4000w peak sub driver. Get the right amp (the DIY people can tell you) and the right box, and a good guess is that this setup will compete with a JL Fathom F212 in output.

Since the box will be hidden, even an unfinished MDF box would work. DC Creations could probably design and build one for you (yes, a car audio box would work the same). Or, if the AVS DIY people can give you the volume specs and slotted port length and size, a local cabinet maker could do it and put some finish on it. Then get an Anti-Mode 8033-C to help EQ the sub.

Altogether, this solution should bring you in well under your budget.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just had a consultation with my carpenter and am considering rebuilding the space, which might allow a larger sub in that space. There is a velodyne DD18+ selling on audiogon. Does velodyne allow transfer of warranty? Is it worth it to pay $1000+ more for a velodyne DD18+, JL f112, or def tech trinity, rather than one of these?

HSU VTF-15H

Outlaw LFM-1 EX

Rythmik FV15H

SVS PB 12+

Def tech reference

Has anyone dealt with elegan(t)audiovideo?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cel4145,

Thank you for your advice. I will keep it in mind because you are right that since the sub will be hidden, I'll be unnecessarily paying extra for the appearance/fininshings. However, please keep in mind that the sub may end up going in a real home theater down the line, possibly doubled up with another of the same type, so in that case the appearance would make a difference. Also, with regard to DIY, since I a beginner at this, I feel like I would be way in over my head.

Thanks again,

Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts