AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded my system to focal chorus bookshelves...right now I have a older 10" velodyne....its about 7-10 years old I would think...

I got a steal on some polk subs cause american was going out of business...so I bought 2 polk psw111 subs for $120 each

I was thinking maybe doing 1 in front and 1 in the rear (I know these are not the best subs but cannot afford anythign else)

I also got another polk sub....this one is a wireless..dswpro440wi

with the combination of all 4 subs what should I do...what should I sell?

or should I sell them all and spend $250-300 on 1 good sub?

main questions i guess is having 2 subs 1 front 1 rear a good effect?

thanks

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I sold all 4...my spending limit would probably only be $300....I mainly bought the polks to resell...but thought maybe I could use them....is there a real good sub I can pick up for 300 or less...or just use some one these...?

my velodyne is i belive model ct-10

·
Registered
2,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibasnatch /forum/post/20764330

or should I sell them all and spend $250-300 on 1 good sub?

main questions i guess is having 2 subs 1 front 1 rear a good effect?

I am not familiar with those subs (really any of the Polk's), but an interesting article on the subject of 1 larger v. 2 smaller was done by Audioholics about a year ago ( here is a link ). In general, two properly placed and set up subs offer some advantages over a single more powerful sub.

I'd personally, given the options, stick with the two identical subs and work on placement/set up since you are working on a tight budget and already have them. Identical subs are easier to integrate with each other, and the modal response benefits may be more noticeable then a slightly better sub. Sell the other two and look at either a BFD eq or some room treatments, depending on what you get for the sold subs and any individual factors (such as WAF).

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Keep three, sell one (preferably the wireless dswpro440wi). Throw the one that digs the deepest (the Velo) into the corner, following the example given here.

"Put one sub in a corner close to the mains. The second sub is a lot more flexible as to its location, but it should not be in a corner. Side wall or back wall, near the midpoint is a good idea. Put the third sub wherever you can that is not too close to the other two. It's a good idea to get one of them off of the floor."
http://mehlau.net/audio/multisub_geddes/

You don't HAVE to get one off of the floor, it is optional.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.