AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 5.1 setup in our house, and I need some suggestions on surround speakers placement. The furniture setup we have is the generic sofa and love in an L shape, yet surprisingly, it's been a pain to find any tips for working with this configuration. I would imagine most households in the the US have a very similar setup
Anyways, I know it's not the ideal layout, but I have no say when it comes to furniture, so i have to deal with what I'm given. What do you guys suggest would be the best compromise for location and direction?

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Forget about the love seat and put the surrounds to the side walls in line with the sofa.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundam83 /forum/post/20844584

Unfortunately that's not going to happen. We also have 5 members in the household

Its the only solution you have. The LS will be behind, and slightly to the left of the people sitting on the L seat and the RS will just be farther away. They will still have the surrounds to either side. But the surrounds will be symmetrical to the sofa. And as that is the larger seat, that is the one you focus on.

·
Premium Member
14,810 Posts

Configure you system as diagrammed above.

As others have said, in your room, the listeners/viewers on the loveseat are in highly compromised positions and there is no way to provide them with an ideal "surround experience." They're not even getting an ideal front soundstage experience.

The only way to optimize 5 seats in a room like yours is with 2 rows of seats, one behind the other. Even that is not "ideal" for all seats.

Craig

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.