AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plan is for the TV and the mechanical screen to be on the wall where the stairs are. I haven't bought the TV, the projector or the screen. I have front speakers (KEF iQ10) but I'm afraid they aren't right for in-wall. My contractor starts the framing portion of the larger remodel this week so I need to finalize everything.

The thinking:

I have a wall of windows/french doors that lead to my backyard (bottom of plan). I want to enjoy watching television during the day while also enjoying the ability to look out onto my backyard. IOW, I don't want to have to create a cave to watch TV during the day. That is why I decided on a TV for daytime and the screen/projector for night.

The plan:

Build a false wall out from the staircase wall so a flat screen TV and in-wall speakers can sit flush. Directly in front of that false wall, I want to hang a mechanical screen from the ceiling. When down, the screen should completely cover the TV. Assuming I place my center channel directly below the TV, the screen would stop just above the center channel. I do not want to hang the projector from the ceiling, so I am going to place it in the built-in shelves at the back of the room.

My questions:

1.) I want to spend less than $3k on the projector. What projector do you recommend for this room? From the plans, the throw will be a little over 20'. I plan to use the projector almost exclusively at night. The only specification I know I need in the projector is I want 1080p and it needs to be able to handle the throw distance.

2.) I would like to spend around $1K for the my front 3 speakers. Am I right in assuming my KEF's aren't good for in-wall?

3.) I really don't want to break the bank on the mechanical screen. I am finding that search the most daunting. What is a solid, economical option for my needs? The wall is 15'10" wide by 9' tall and I plan to have my couch about 15' from the screen. I want to have a good size screen so it's a discernable difference from the TV. Does 120" sound about right? What color? What gain? I am such a novice at this.

4.) What TV should I get? I want to spend around $2500, so I was looking at the Panasonic VIERA S1 Series TC-P65S1 65-Inch 1080p Plasma. Assuming my couch will be around 14-15 feet from the screen, I thought 65' was about right. Agree? Also, knowing I have a bank of floor to ceiling windows, do you think this TV is OK for glare?

5.) Thank you so, so much. While I have the entire room exposed to the studs, I really don't want to mess this up.

Seabury_familyroom.pdf 23.6552734375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Should make sense along with above explanation and plans.

Thanks again!

Wall where I want the false wall for the TV and the speakers. Also where the screen will come down in front of the wall. The door on the left is a pocket door that leads to the stairs. The little door on the lower right of the wall will no longer be there. The fans will be removed.

Wall that leads to the backyard. This will have 3 transoms above the doors and windows. And the doors will become french doors.

The back wall for the built-in cabinets (the mirror goes away). The projector and my components will be back here. The fans will be removed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.