AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp ... d2ac82a4c6

Looking for some advice on upgrading my antenna. I live in a very woodsy area, on the high-side of a hill. The terrain around me is hills and valleys. My current antenna is pointed at roughly 60 degrees and receives channels listed below, on a good day when the sun is shinning/no clouds. I've since realized this was not the best purchase which is why I am here
Amplified Digital Outdoor Antenna http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NQMCDK/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I've had it since November and have a feeling the spring growth is going to change my situation which is already sporadic. From what I can tell on TVfool, it looks like 205 degrees is my best bet - but I have experienced little success when pointing in that direction. The location the antenna is currently pointed was determined simply by trial and error.

Current Channels:

7-1, 7-2, 7-3

8-1, 8-2

13-1, 13-2, 13-3

48-1, 48-2, 48-3, 48-4

54-1, 54-2, 54-3, 54-4

I'd like to avoid getting one of the HUGE antennas(110 inches long). I'm willing to give up VHF channels if need be. Really just looking for the greatest chance of getting the bigger networks. Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated!

Rick

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by savenelroy  /t/1523276/need-advice-on-upgrading-current-antenna-putnam-county-ny#post_24502334

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp ... d2ac82a4c6

Looking for some advice on upgrading my antenna. I live in a very woodsy area, on the high-side of a hill. The terrain around me is hills and valleys. My current antenna is pointed at roughly 60 degrees and receives channels listed below, on a good day when the sun is shinning/no clouds. I've since realized this was not the best purchase which is why I am here
Amplified Digital Outdoor Antenna http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NQMCDK/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I've had it since November and have a feeling the spring growth is going to change my situation which is already sporadic. From what I can tell on TVfool, it looks like 205 degrees is my best bet - but I have experienced little success when pointing in that direction. The location the antenna is currently pointed was determined simply by trial and error.

Current Channels:

7-1, 7-2, 7-3

8-1, 8-2

13-1, 13-2, 13-3

48-1, 48-2, 48-3, 48-4

54-1, 54-2, 54-3, 54-4

I'd like to avoid getting one of the HUGE antennas(110 inches long). I'm willing to give up VHF channels if need be. Really just looking for the greatest chance of getting the bigger networks. Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated!

Rick

Your TV fool reports you have no line-of-sight to the towers, which will be a problem.

You also write that you can receive 7,8, 13,48, and 54.

While I can assume that 8 is WTNH, 48 is WRNN and 54 is WTBY, 7 and 13 are unclear, but assumed to be from New York City (ABC and PBS). You don't get 11, which is puzzling, since you can receive 7 and 13...

My guess is you will need a high-gain Hi-VHF and UHF antenna, as well as a pre-amp to get reliable reception. You best choice for direction will be in the direction opposite the top of the high. You write that you are on the high-side of a hill, but if the peak is between you an Albany, then your best bet will be to point south. You don't need an Lo-VHF antenna (110" across). Hi-VHF elements are less than 2 feet long (4 feet total).

You may consider the AntennaCraft HBU55 + a pre-amp. Yes, long, but not wide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Your assumptions are correct! Thank you for the quick reply. I do get channel 11WPIX, sorry forgot to include it. 7-1 is ABC and 7-2 is LWN.

Any thoughts on a pre-amp?

Thanks so much!

Rick

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by savenelroy  /t/1523276/need-advice-on-upgrading-current-antenna-putnam-county-ny#post_24503026

Your assumptions are correct! Thank you for the quick reply. I do get channel 11WPIX, sorry forgot to include it. 7-1 is ABC and 7-2 is LWN.

Any thoughts on a pre-amp?

Thanks so much!

Rick

I have no personal experience with pre-amps, but from what I understand, you will want one that can be mounted up on the mast near the antenna. Its power injector will be located in the house. You want to boost whatever signals your antenna can pick up before the feed down from the antenna.

You'll want to select one with a low noise figure.

I would ask for opinions on this one:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=LNA-200&ss=67895

There are no guarantees you will be able to pick up CBS, FOX, NBC, and My9 from NYC (the UHF Stations), even with the new antenna and pre-amp, simply because you don't have Line of sight. UHF waves tend NOT to curve around hilltops and things like VHF waves do. In addition, the foliage you discuss impacts UHF more than VHF...

You can only try....

Are you wired for CableTV?

Cheers!

-Doug

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wired for cable tv? Not sure I understand. Moved into a new house this fall. The previous owner had cable but I haven't signed up. Been living with this bad amazon purchase and now that the snow is gone, looking to get back up on the roof. Tv is cable ready. Answer your question?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
He is trying to tell you that your TVFool reports indicates weak signals.. At best you will get reception with an occasional loss of signal for a while. Your best bet is to try an an CM4228 or Antennas Direct 91XG UHF TV antenna. You will need a very low noise preamp like the Winegard LNA-200. The antenna will need to be up as high as possible. If mounted on the roof doesn't work, a tower may be necessary.

john

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by savenelroy  /t/1523276/need-advice-on-upgrading-current-antenna-putnam-county-ny#post_24504834

Wired for cable tv? Not sure I understand. Moved into a new house this fall. The previous owner had cable but I haven't signed up. Been living with this bad amazon purchase and now that the snow is gone, looking to get back up on the roof. Tv is cable ready. Answer your question?

What I mean is, you can get "Starter TV" from TWC to get the broadcast channels (and some others... I have Starter TV over in Sullivan County, and with the $20 package I get ESPN, TNT, Discovery, CNN, FX, WGNAmerica, AntennaTV, and all the locals - all in HD), along with "Everyday Low Price Internet" at $15/mo. My total is $35. They will charge me a dollar a month for my Digital Transport Adapter in January. It might be worth it for you to investigate this option. If you are in CV territory, your mileage may vary.

Not every road upstate is wired for cableTV, and your cable company will gladly bring it down the street... at $5 a foot. So if the nearest service is a mile away, it will cost you $25k just for them to bring the cable to your front lawn... which is another reason why I asked if your house was wired for cableTV...

You could spend $150 on an antenna and pre-amp, and not get any additional channels.... It's a risk, that was my reasoning.

If you have the time, I suggest reading through this entire site. It discusses challenges involved when installing antennas, based on the frequencies attempting to be received, obstructions, antenna types, etc...

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/

Cheers!

-Doug

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Makes sense. Didn't realize I could get starter TV for 15 bucks/month. Comcast offers a starter lineup - no TWC in this area. You make a good point. Sounds like the area I'm in just won't produce the greatest results with an antenna. Made it through the winter alright but there are so many trees around that I imagine it's only a matter of time before channels start disappearing. May need to think this one through.

THANKS!

Rick

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I'm not a big fan of those "amplified" outdoor antennas, they don't really perform well and are not designed optimally.

Based on the current channels you can receive, I think you actually have a good shot of getting the NYC stations and CT stations if you put up a good sized VHF/UHF antenna with a pre-amp.

I would try to buy from a place that you can easily return if it does not work, like Radio Shack, something like this would work : http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3740640&locale=en_US

Also what kind of cabling you have now, RG6?

·
Registered
419 Posts
This is pretty similar to my TVFool report in terms of signal strengths to the Austin stations nearly 60 miles away. No situation is identical, but for me, a combination of 91XG for UHF and YA1713 for high VHF, fed into an HDP-269 preamp (didn't want a stronger preamp because one very close signal could cause overloading) works very well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I purchased the HBU55 and 10G201 pre-amp. Did a pre-install in the attic and am already receiving receiving NBC, ABC, and a few others. Gonna get up on the roof this weekend and mount it in its final resting place. Hoping to see more once it's out of the attic. Looking good so far! 19 channels in total: telemundo, christian and korean/asian channels account for 9 of them which aren't really a priority. Would be nice to have a few more of the major networks. Fingers crossed for FOX, WPIX, and PBS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Amazing...After mounting it to the roof, 100' of RG6/pre-amp and slowly tweaking the position 4 or 5 times with a compass, I have 35 channels. Some are repeats, some I'll never watch, but pretty much everything I hoped for. Now receiving (virtual channels): 54, 48, 7, 9, 63, 68, 8, 11, 13, 47, 2. A few more, too. Only channel that's weak that i'd like to beef up is channel 4, which is strange because I got it while the antenna was originally in the attic with the pre-amp. Makes me wonder if it's has to do with the weather?

Next test will be removing the pre-amp and doing another scan. Kind of a hassle to do this and rain is on its way so may need to wait till next week. Hoping these channels stick once the leaves fill in! Can definitely live without cable if I can keep all the major networks.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by savenelroy  /t/1523276/need-advice-on-upgrading-current-antenna-putnam-county-ny#post_24540482

Amazing...After mounting it to the roof, 100' of RG6/pre-amp and slowly tweaking the position 4 or 5 times with a compass, I have 35 channels. Some are repeats, some I'll never watch, but pretty much everything I hoped for. Now receiving (virtual channels): 54, 48, 7, 9, 63, 68, 8, 11, 13, 47, 2. A few more, too. Only channel that's weak that i'd like to beef up is channel 4, which is strange because I got it while the antenna was originally in the attic with the pre-amp. Makes me wonder if it's has to do with the weather?

Next test will be removing the pre-amp and doing another scan. Kind of a hassle to do this and rain is on its way so may need to wait till next week. Hoping these channels stick once the leaves fill in! Can definitely live without cable if I can keep all the major networks.

Glad it is working for you.

Read the HDTVPrimer I linked to before... It all depends on the topography... and since your antenna is now higher, NBC's signal may be in one of those empty layers...
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/siting.html

You might get better reception LOWERING your antenna a foot or two...

Cheers!

-Doug

1 - 13 of 13 Posts