AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently posted this thread to ask for advice on picking out a replacement receiver to my Pioneer 919AH that recently got fried by lightning. Picking out the new receiver gave me the itch to finally make some upgrades to my 6 year old Sony HTIB speakers

I ended up purchasing a new Pioneer 1021K Receiver, a BIC F12, and a Pioneer C21 Center. This all increased my sound tenfold and I am very happy. After thinking more about it, I'd like to get some advice on replacing the only part of my hitb left, the satellites...

Here are my challenges:

1. Space, space, and more space

2. Oddly shaped living room w/ vaulted ceiling

3. Budget of $600-$800 for a set of 4

I am extremely challenged to space due to my living room and where we were forced to place the entertainment center. The vaulted ceilings are near 15' high and there is no room for floorstanding speakers. My satellites are currently mounted in the upper corners where space is tight as well. My new F12 and C21 both currently reside atop an armoire due to lack of options but I am planning on moving the sub next to the couch (going to wait until the weather cools before I run the cable in the attic). You can't tell in the pictures below, but the C21 is angled down to direct the sound.

I know this looks like a hodge podge setup, but I need help! Here are some pics of my living room set up and the four satellite locations:

I am pretty sure that I am going to need to stick with mountable satellites for this room and hopefully can receive some good advice on what to do. I currently have my eyes on the Mirage OMD5's with a plan on mounting them upside down. The OMD5s seem like they'll just fit in the spaces my current satellites are and fit my budget.

I'm open to suggestions.

-logga

·
Registered
896 Posts
I think it would be worth a try to use the OMD5s. I ways back a I was going to go the same route as you are thinking but was talked out of them from a few people ( long story...due to set up area that is). Anyhow, I went with the Klipsch Q's as they work out very well ( at least for me that is) as they have there ouwn built in wall mount... not to mention very easy to drive and a nice detailed sound. They may not work out as good in your situation as they do have a smaller driver... but thats just taking a guess as I can tell how far the seating area is from the speaker placement. If its over 15ft then I would look into something else that has a larger driver.

Another line to look at would be the Def Tech Pro 1000's. I had a chance to hear them at the local store a ways back as they have an excellent sound as well! Larger driver, clear sound and they can be had for around $200 ea but... you have to get the mounts for they so that would put you over the max $800.00 mark.

I would say give the OMD5s a try and if by some chance they dont work out you can always sell them and maybe recoupe most your money ( or give me a shout as I can maybe by them from you for my folks place). Just going by the photos provided I would say they may work but it may come down to it where you need more of a direction speaker as to where you can point them towards the seating area... just a thought tho.

Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice.

I am concerned a tad about what I've heard on the the OMD's being omnidirectional vs a more directional speaker. I was also looking at the Energy Mini's that are $200 each. The OMD's are appealing due to them having a 5.5" driver vs a 4.5" in the Mini's...

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
My advice is this try to have your front 3 speakers matched. What I mean is have your front L&R speakers and your center from the same company and model line and preferably with the same size drivers in them. With that being said here are the speakers that match your center.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/SP-BS21-LR

For your surrounds you do not have to have the same brand or type of speaker as your fronts. It is recommended that you keep groups of speakers the same for instance say your doing a 7.2 setup. You would want your front 3 to be the same and your 4 surrounds to be the same but they could be different from the fronts and you would want 2 identical subs and they don't have to be from the same company as your fronts or surrounds.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
/\\ /\\ /\\

What he said. Either ashcan the Pio center speaker or find the matching speakers for it. Timbre is 'color' in speaker parlance - and speakers don't all match up in 'color'. Think of a piano playing middle C - then a trumpet playing middle C. The same note is played and on an oscilloscope they might look the same but they don't sound the same and neither will mis-matched speakers. Sometimes you'll find different brands that have similar timbre and the better a speaker the less differences there will be. Case in point is an Emotiva ERM 6.3 which is nearly identical to an Infinity IL36c (center) which I happened to own at the same time. I still have the Infinity speakers. More often than not even speakers within a brand name but different models won't timbre match unless they have the same tweeters.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so I'm not tied down to the Pioneer C21. I am still within my return period and it only cost $80...

That said, looking at the pictures of my room above, what would be some suggestions? Would the OMD5's work well in my set up with an OMDC1? I am limited with what I can do with my front and rear speakers as you can see by my pics. Is the Mirage set up and good choice for a satellite set? Should I look more at Energy's or anything else?

I obviously can't use the Pioneer bookshelves due to my space limitations.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
There are a lot of happy OMD users out there. If you can find some place that will allow a trial period give them a try - otherwise its a crap-shoot. Personally I've found that when the general consensus is a speaker is good then I find no real faults with them. I use a pair of Infinity TSS-800 speakers driven by an old Denon 589 for my day to day use. I've heard so much good about the Primus tweeters that I figured the TSS-800 might be ok to try since they use the same tweeter. Everyone was right - they sound good. I use a DIY 12" sub for the lows.

I have a much better than average HT setup. FWIW I like the Infinity tweeters - I use Infinity speakers for HT use as well - 10 year old Interludes with the CMMD tweeters - one of the best I've ever heard. I also use Infinity speakers in both my cars.

You should try finding somewhere else to locate your sub. It needs to be in a corner. Maybe you could get a wireless sender for that sub.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like I mentioned in my original post, I plan on moving my sub. I have an order in with Monoprice and am going to wait until its a tad cooler outside before attic monkey'ing around to run the cable. It will eventually end up in the rear/right corner near our bigger couch.

Thanks frogt! I know its not ideal but my only choice at the moment. I found that the height keeps toddler's poking, proding fingers out!

·
Registered
750 Posts
What is wrong with the sound of the sub in its present location? Does it sound good or bad, clear or muddy?

Sometimes it depends on the sub whether or not corner loading is good or not.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone215 /forum/post/20839486

What is wrong with the sound of the sub in its present location? Does it sound good or bad, clear or muddy?

Sometimes it depends on the sub whether or not corner loading is good or not.

The sub sounds fine to me in that position. I am going to run a long cable and test it out in the location I plan to move it to for comparison. The main reason I was looking to move it is more for aesthetics and having it more out of site and in a more conventional location.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went ahead and bought 4 of the OMD 5's from Vanns. I'm going to test them out with the Pioneer and see if they clash at all. I may still return the Pioneer C21 and get the OMD C1.

The OMD C1 looks as if I could mount it inside the armoire on its ceiling with a strong L bracket. That's a big plus for me and gets it off the top of the unit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.