AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't figure out which section this might fit best in, so I'll try this one.

I use two DrapeBoss (now discontinued) programmable motors to drive my motorized screen masking system. I'm able to program the speed, X-10 channel, direction, and up to 8 aspect ratios.

These units are supposed to hold their programming for up to a week without power. One of mine loses it's programming in a matter of minutes without power.

They are powered by a wall cube. I would like to put a UPS on them to not only hold the power on all the time, but also protect them from surges. A couple of questions come up with this approach.

First, I don't want to take a chance on damaging them, so I am questioning the square wave output of the lower cost UPS units. Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether the better "sine wave output" units would be safe to use.

Second, these have the X-10 interface in a separate module so the X-10 signal doesn't travel through the wall cube. Any thoughts on what plugging the wall cube into a UPS might do to the X-10 signal even though it doesn't travel travel through it?

Deane

·
Registered
120 Posts
If the wall cube is outputing DC voltage, you can safely use ANY type of UPS. It's being converted in the wall wart. If it is AC output, you would need to look at the waveform out to be safe. Some AC output wall warts are nothing more than a stepdown transformer, others use peak wave through a stepdown, bridge configuration to 'smooth-out the waveform' (this type is fairly rare.)

As to the X10, the UPS will have NO effect in the configuration you describe.

PS You may want to check your control unit for either a rechargable battery pack, or a 'Dallas Module.' You may be able to replace these and recover the internal memory time.

Gerry

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gerry. The output of the wallwart is AC 13.5v, 1.25amp. I guess this means I should probably use a sine wave UPS for saftey. Since these units are no longer available, I need to err on the side of caution.

Deane

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Deane, the Drape Boss drapery controller is that the one you are using? If so it appears to still be available in a catalog that I receive, "Smarthome". Looks just like the one you used. I am very interested in setting up a masking system like yours and would like to use these for control of the masking.

John

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John:

Yes, the DrapeBoss is the unit I use for the masking. It works to perfection.

I'm wondering if you're looking at an old catalog. The current catalog number is 48B (Spring 2002), and it isn't in there. It's not on their website either. I sure wish it were.

The DrapeBoss was made by Boss Industries of Fremont, California. The quit making it. I heard someone in the industry say they had sold the components to a company in Oregon who later sold to Kirsch. I have no idea if this is true, and if true, whether or not Kirsch would revive it under their name. Being a Kirsch dealer, I'll know if anything shows up. We can hope.

BTX is going to market the motor they use on the MotorDrape rod as a separate unit. Hopefully, it can be used for masking like the DrapeBoss. It will have 9 programmable speeds, but will not have programmable stops. It stops when it comes to the end of travel. This would probably still be usable for 16:9 and 2.35:1, with open being 16:9 and 2.35:1 being closed. Since the unit stops when it reaches the end of travel, one would need to construct something that would stop it at these positions. When it comes out we'll be able to figure out what it will do.

Deane

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Deane, yes, it is an older catolog that I was looking at, darn. I will give them a call today and see if they might find a couple laying around on a self somewhere! Can only hope for the best!

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.