AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a panny 65 inch VT25 and currently have it sitting on a coffee table. I was considering purchasing a stand and calling it a day, but I think wall mounting would like better.

My only issue is I live in an apartment complex and anything that is done will have to be put back that way it was before I move out. People I have benen talking to have been telling me it's just a few holes with spakel that will have to be patched. My issue is that there is no electric directly behind the TV, it's on the side wall, so that will need to be ran as well. Plus there will need to be a cable or two ran in the wall, but that's probally small patch workas well.

My issue is what about componets? I will most likely need a small media cabinet for componets that will go on the side of the TV or underneath.

I've gotten estimate of 250.00 for someone to come and hang the tv, run the cables in the wall and run the electlric. My cost would be purchasing the wall mount which will run about 75.00.

I don't know if this is worth it b/c I can get a stand for about 400.00. If I go the wall mount route i'd still have to purchase some type of cabinet for components. I am estimating about 200.00 or more for a media cabinet. So by the time i'm all said and done i'm in he 500-600 dollar range. If i just by a stand that will fit the tv and has storage for componets I can probally be all said and done for about 400.00.

What is the best route to go here giving my living conditions and the type of set up i'm trying to do.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Its all up to you. Think good about it before you hang it though. It does look cool, but it sounds like you have to have a bit of work done there.

You should check with your landlord about the whole situation because he or she may very well want you to keep the wall mount setup on the wall when you move out. Since most people have flat panels today, an apartment equip with one may be appealing for the next renter.

You don't NEED to hide the wires inside the wall either, you could put a table/entertainment cabinet under the tv after its wall mounted, and run the cables straight down with a wire cover. Then all you would have to do is have a surge protector with a long tail for the power situation, and throw it behind the entertainment cabinet.

Personally, I used to have a set hung on the wall but got over the look pretty fast. I now have my most recent set on a tv stand. Its easier to manage the cables, make cable changes (which I admit doesn't happen often) and the tv is about 2 feet closer to me on the stand then it would be on a wall, and I sit pretty far as it is. I prefer having it on a stand.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I wouldnt waste the money when renting an apartment. I mean $250 dollars to have it installed temporarily, seems kinds of crazy. Then you also will have to deal with the work of putting it all back to the way it was when you move out as well. The only reason I am going to mount my new plasma is to reduce glare. Just as the previous poster said, when you mount it, you end up having it a couple feet further away and it is more difficult to change cables if needed. So it definitely has its disadvantages as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought a stand that has a mount built into the unit and I absolutely love it. I thought hard about wall mounting but I'm very glad I never did it. You lock yourself into that position, you have to deal with patching holes when you move, as well as re-mounting it in your new place. Just way too much hassle. With my stand I get the secure feeling that wall mounts give in that the TV won't tip over onto my kid or whatever. And I can move it wherever I want.

The unit I bought was from BestBuy, Whalen model #BBXLS52VS. I'm not sure if we can post links to sites like BB on here otherwise I would. But you can find it easily with a search.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it looks like i am going to go with a tv stand with space for components underneath. The issue I am having is now I have to find al spot for my center channel speaker which would have been wall mounted under the tv if I went that route.

I was at BB earlier today and that had a stand with a TV on on it and the center speaker laying in front of the TV, howver you were not able to see a portion of the tv due to the center speaker. I don't want to have that issue.

I saw other stands that have a compartment for a center speaker, but those are very pricey. So we will see.

·
Answer Seeking / Sharing
NHT, PSA, Denon, Emotiva, Niles, Sony, Oppo, Roku, Alienware, Mac, Rega, Akai, Parasound, Nakamichi
2,004 Posts
Hi giacona,

As mentioned by sliderhouserules, you may want to look at stands that have mounts built in. They can be had (with free shipping) from racksandstands.com for ~300:

http://www.racksandstands.com/Flat-P...A54~11939.html

With these the monitor can be adjusted for height and then you can set your center channel speaker on the top of the stand without blocking your monitor.

I agree with all that it may not be a good idea to mount to the wall (cost and temporary). Look at the options on the site listed, there are many in various price ranges.

Ray

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
You can get a very nice bracket for ~$50 for basic, more if you want articulating. It's quite easy to install, for a 65" display you will need a friend to help lift, but all you will need is 4 lag bolts into the stud, easy patch job when you move. And you will save $250- you just need to be a little bit handy.

Why worry about the cables? There are many options, covers can be had at Home Depot for $5 or so, or you can buy white cables and leave it at that. I've even seen fabric covers that people slipped over the cables to cover them. Just because it's wall mounted does not mean the cables have to be hidden.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L
Just because it's wall mounted does not mean the cables have to be hidden.
But it looks so much more baller when they are...

We paid to have and electrician run the power, 4 HDMI cables, and a USB cable. Ordered all the cables on-line and paid to have him run them. It was around the same price as the OP posted and well worth it imho. If you can spring the kind of money for a 65vt25, paying to get it done the way you want should not be an issue.

The Harmony 900 with RF blaster that runs mine (everything is in a hallway closet) cost more then the mount, cables, and install. The effect is worth the money to showcase your high end monitor in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
I agree it's nice not to see the wires, but if it's not your walls you are cutting into there is a big difference. In my situation my plasma is mounted on an exposed brick wall, no option to hide the wires. I have about 12" showing under the center speaker but I watch the display not the wires and after a day or two I did not even notice them. I had intended to conceal them a bit more but two or three small wires are hardly noticeable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts