1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Brief history:

1- Purchased 50" Samsung PN50a650 towards the end of November '08

2- Setup TV, 'broke' it in and noticed 'green/yellowish' blotches on flesh tone colors in dark scenes.. I noticed this before and after 'breaking' it in.

3- I also noticed dark horizontal banding lines.

4- The color is great, but can't live with these annoying yellow/greenish blotches on people's faces and decide that it's not going away and that spending $1600 on a TV should warrant a PERFECT set.

5- I decided since I only owned the TV for less than 2 weeks that I should be able to return it and get a new one, instead of getting it fixed. The place I bought it from agreed and shipped me a new one.

I received my 2nd set earlier this week on Monday.

6- The problem with the blotches don't exist, but now, I have more prominent 'grey/dark' horizontal band lines. Two on the bottom and one on the upper part of the TV. I also notice 'uneven' spots on various parts of the picture,, almost like rain drops.

I've verified and reverified all of my connections-- the problem with the lines exist with nothing but the power cable connected-- you can see the problem on the 'white screen' in the TV Menu.

Here's my dilemna:

I really like this TV-- it produces fantastic colors, but I firmly believe that I should have a PERFECT set.

So, do I try and get a 3rd set? Do I 'risk' having a tech come in and try to fix it?

Or,,, do I go with a different brand altogether?

I want a plasma. I want good colors, so I bought this TV after researching for several months.

Advice from those that have experienced these very same problems would be very helpful, as well as those that have Samsung Plasmas with PERFECT sets (for inspiration).

Here are 3 links that describe the same problems I am having, but with pictures.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post14381572

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14376258

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post14363706

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johhhn /forum/post/15504723

Hi,

Brief history:

1- Purchased 50" Samsung PN50a650 towards the end of November '08

2- Setup TV, 'broke' it in and noticed 'green/yellowish' blotches on flesh tone colors in dark scenes.. I noticed this before and after 'breaking' it in.

3- I also noticed dark horizontal banding lines.

4- The color is great, but can't live with these annoying yellow/greenish blotches on people's faces and decide that it's not going away and that spending $1600 on a TV should warrant a PERFECT set.

5- I decided since I only owned the TV for less than 2 weeks that I should be able to return it and get a new one, instead of getting it fixed. The place I bought it from agreed and shipped me a new one.

I received my 2nd set earlier this week on Monday.

6- The problem with the blotches don't exist, but now, I have more prominent 'grey/dark' horizontal band lines. Two on the bottom and one on the upper part of the TV. I also notice 'uneven' spots on various parts of the picture,, almost like rain drops.

I've verified and reverified all of my connections-- the problem with the lines exist with nothing but the power cable connected-- you can see the problem on the 'white screen' in the TV Menu.

Here's my dilemna:

I really like this TV-- it produces fantastic colors, but I firmly believe that I should have a PERFECT set.

So, do I try and get a 3rd set? Do I 'risk' having a tech come in and try to fix it?

Or,,, do I go with a different brand altogether?

I want a plasma. I want good colors, so I bought this TV after researching for several months.

Advice from those that have experienced these very same problems would be very helpful, as well as those that have Samsung Plasmas with PERFECT sets (for inspiration).

Here are 3 links that describe the same problems I am having, but with pictures.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post14381572

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14376258

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post14363706

Thank you for your time.

Well, it seems you unfornutely had a wierd unlucky streak. You apparently like the Sammies so I would say to give Samsung a call. Based on what they say, I would either try another set or have them send out a service tech.

Good luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks paul, I'm going to try and get the set replaced today.. hopefully 3rd time's a charm!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, my 3rd set came in today..

3rd time's a charm?

Not quite-- albeit, this is the 'best' one so far I've received, it still has the 'grey' shadowish horizontal line problem.. on a dark grey solid background, you can see two horizontal lines halfway and 2/3 up the screen.. SIGH

on my last TV, when the contrast was turned up to 'normal' settings (ie, after break-in), the lines were faint and not as noticeable, but STILL there.

I watched the Lakers play the Cavaliers tonight (great game, btw.. if you're a Lakers fan
) and didn't notice the 'problem' too much, but that's probably because I was too busy Zooming in all the time to avoid the static TNT score board..

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I go for TV #4?

Does anyone have a PN50A650 w/o the aforementioned problems?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, I have this set and it has none of the problems you've mentioned at all. Have had it for over a month now and it's flawless.

Also... Zooming in/out to avoid the score marker seems overkill man... just enjoy the game. Nothing is going to happen. Game was amazing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:sigh:

So if you go to the all white screen you don't see any faint grey horizontal (or vertical) lines??

I must have all the luck!!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Ya know, you may want to have them send a service tech to check your set-up.

If that's a no go, get a different brand.

When you spend big bucks performance should not be sacrificed.

Yes I still love Sammies and still definitely recommend them

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure what the tech would do differently that I haven't done already--

1) different power cords

2) different outlets

With nothing plugged in, except a power cord, you can see the lines on the burn-in white screen that's built-in to the Menu options.

I agree, with the $ spent, I should get a perfect TV.. sigh

The only other one I would opt for would be the Kuro Elite, but I don't have that kind of cash!!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johhhn /forum/post/15601035

Not sure what the tech would do differently that I haven't done already--

1) different power cords

2) different outlets

With nothing plugged in, except a power cord, you can see the lines on the burn-in white screen that's built-in to the Menu options.

I agree, with the $ spent, I should get a perfect TV.. sigh

The only other one I would opt for would be the Kuro Elite, but I don't have that kind of cash!!

Try the Panasonics.

As much as we go on about our favorites here, I believe what we quibble about amounts to percentage differences in the single digits. I'm speaking here of Panasonic, Pioneer, and Samsung.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just don't like the non-adustability (compared to Samsung) of the Pannys, otherwise I'd go for it right away.

sigh

This shouldn't be that hard, right???

·
Registered
614 Posts
A google search can get you samsung Tech Support's ECR number, I am willing to bet that after your story they will ship you a new tv, possibly even an upgrade immediately.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton /forum/post/15603429

A google search can get you samsung Tech Support's ECR number, I am willing to bet that after your story they will ship you a new tv, possibly even an upgrade immediately.

Well, the place I bought the TV from has been really good so far-- I'm on my 3rd set,, so they've paid for freight -5- ways now... 3 TVs to me, 2 back to them..

I'm not *too* worried about getting another replacement, but it's just a big PITA having to do this every other week now since the beginning of December!

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton /forum/post/15603429

Getting the right ECR works wonders. I am awaiting my PN50A650's arrival to replace my 5084 because of the dancing green pixel issue.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johhhn /forum/post/15602015

I just don't like the non-adustability (compared to Samsung) of the Pannys, otherwise I'd go for it right away.

sigh

This shouldn't be that hard, right???

.. doesn't the PZ850 have similiar adjustments; at least compariable to the A650.

edit: US Appliance; free shipping extended to 21st.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
CAUTION:

I think the Panasonic 800u is a closer match to the 650 I would certainly look at the displays before just diving in purchasing a replacement.

·
Banned
2,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son /forum/post/15603623

.. doesn't the PZ850 have similiar adjustments; at least compariable to the A650.

edit: US Appliance; free shipping extended to 21st.

+1 I saw that also Daniel, and I dont think you could beat their prices. To the OP I know if it was me I would be done with Samsung. Even if you have a Samsung tech come out IMO you will constantly be worried something else is going to go wrong with the set. I say its time to move on.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm /forum/post/15603560

Getting the right ECR works wonders. I am awaiting my PN50A650's arrival to replace my 5084 because of the dancing green pixel issue.

That's dithering...soemthing that plagued last years Sammy's.

I returned a 5084 rather quickly due to it.

I am completely suprised they will give you a new panel for it since it is in every sammy last year.

You lucked out!

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
There is when the '07 lineup was by far the worst in regards to dithering that I have experienced and I've owned a panel from each of the big three.

The 550/650 seem to have gotten 'much' better in this regard.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts