AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im bout to get a new receiver need some help from ppl that have had the two or have compared them in person. I can get a really good deal on the marantz 5005 but heard alot bout there reliability not lasting to long. Also the "pop of death". Ive been leaning towards the pioneer elite vsx-32/33 I do want THX. Out of which one has the better sound, video quality and will last me a good 5years. I'll be using it mostly for listening to my ipod, playing ps3 and watching movies. Thanks for any info. advance.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
The pioneer has a little more power output and is the THX certified of the two. If thats something you really want then that has to be the choice for the two.

The Marantz Has Audessey Pioneer uses their MCACC auto set up.

I think the Audessey is problaby better as it was designed originally for professional system calibraiutons and simplified for AVR integration for home use.

Both are good receivers and you can save a few bucks with the marantz as its less money when compairing the MSRP's of each.

·
Registered
167 Posts
THX will only make a difference if all of your components are THX certified. I don't think it would be preferable to use the THX post-processing otherwise.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
the marantz is not a network receiver so no you wont be updating firmware over the net.

Both receivers will run a 4 ohm load. Most receivers today are designed for todays speaker loads.....Both amps in these receivers can do it.

The pioneer being THX certified means that this receiver meetsTHX build quality and that amplifier can deliver a movie sound track to its fullest cinematic performance as to how the director intended. It also means Pioneer paid to have this reciver meet the THX criteria in its design and that it does meet the criteria THX calls for in such designs. Having THX certified speakers means they will deliver what they were built to do. Non THX speakers will benifit as you will be feeding them a quality signal. The limits of the system would be then the limits of the speaker system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the pioneers vsx-32/33 video chip better then the marantz sr5005's video chip. Also I know the sr5005 has 100w per channel and the elite vsx-32/33 has 110w per channel. But the marantz estimated power consumption is 640w and the vsx-32/33 E.P.C is 400w. Does the power consumption really make the one louder then the other or the watts per channel. Ive only heard the marantz in person and it did seem that u had to have the volume up to -20.0db to hear anything from it with max volume at 18.0db. Sorry if im asking some many dumb questions Im new to the whole home audio world.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so I got the Marantz SR5005 for $336.00 at my bestbuy. Just to try it out to see what I think about it since I have 30 days to return if I dont like. My last receiver was the Sony STR-Dn1020. And the dn1020 is alot louder but had way to much bass. The sr5005 has better sound, like music is more clearer. I know the sr5005 is last years model. I do like the sr5005 more then the dn1020 but think the sony had better decoders and GUI. The only think that bothers me about the sr5005 is I have to have up it up to about -0.05 for my ps3 games to really get were I like it. Most likely Im gonna go for the elite vsx-32 or 33. Ill play around with the sr5005 for a week or two to see if my feelings change towards it.

·
Registered
29,326 Posts
How can the Sony have better decoders? Don't they both have TrueHD, DTS-MA, Dolby D, DTS, Pro Logic IIx, etc?

Did you run the Audyssey setup after installing the Marantz receiver?

The Sony may sound louder because it has more distortion. Distortion sounds louder than clean power. Do you have an SPL meter?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.