AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Sharpvision xv-s90u (about '95 vintage), ceiling mount, 11ft throw to 95" dia. 4:3 matte white screen (short). Lens height is 7'4" above floor and 5" below top of screen. Use: 50% sports, 50% movies. Some ambient light because half of room is pool table etc. I would like to keep this screen size in 4:3 and go wider for HD 16:9 (106" wide right?)

What PJ is right for me? I am willing to wait for new models.

Is it worth investing in a new screen or can I project on the white wall? (sides, top, bottom are masked with black curtains)

Budget is $6k

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
If you screen is 95 diag that would make it 57x76. How do you propose showing 106 wide on this. In anycase with a 76 wide screen and at 6K, the Optoma 77 would work perfectly for you at 11 feet

At 11 feet throw, the biggest 16x9 would be 95 diag

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I would get a new, larger screen.

How do you anticipate the Optoma 77 comparing to the soon-to-be-released Sony VPL-HS51? Thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
No prob. Let us know what projectors you find that suit your needs and i'm sure you can get some specific feedback on them.

·
Registered
879 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great links REWJR.

Is the Sharp on the market yet? Sounds like a solid unit, however, the Hitachi and Pan can get closer to my desired screen size.

Is 118" diag to big/unreasonable for viewing from 11' (front row), 17' (back row)? Maybe it's unreasonable to ask from 11' throw.

Moving the ceiling mount back would hinder walking on the back row riser and if I move it all the way back, walking on riser would interfere w/ beam. Seems best place is directly above the lower row. Real pickle.

Maybe bite the bullet and move the mount and deal w/ it. Then the world's my oyster.

How about Sony HS51?

Which route, DLP or LCD? Lots of variables/questions.

Man, glad I discovered this site. It's awesome. I live in a small town where there's no one to talk with on front PJ. They think I'm nuts. Maybe I SHOULD settle for a 4:3, 42" rear proj crt tv? :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.