AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I want to put a 2.1 system (and maybe 5.1 eventually) into my bedroom. The measurement of the room is 15x12 with 8ft ceilings. I currently have two Ascend CMb 170 SE, but I don't like the look of them aesthetically. I also don't like having to use speaker stands (wobbly). Because of this (and the fact that I just sold my subwoofer), I am looking at tower speakers.

A friend of a friend says that he will sell me his Energy C-500 (a pair) and a matching center speaker for $225. From what I know, this seems like an amazing deal. However, I have a few questions.

1) Is the c-500 a good speaker? What price range of speakers currently in production does it compare to?
2) Will I need a subwoofer with it for my sized room?
3) Are these speakers an upgrade over my Ascends?

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
1) yes. I owned the C-300s and enjoyed the time I had them. The C-300s were $600/pr and I believe the C-500s were $1000/pr. Where do they compare... Idk it's been a while but if anything they may lack the transparency and neutrality of what's available now in the market place. However they were warm speakers, some of the last designed by John Tchilinguirian, who was IMO a pretty good designer in his day.
2) bass will be good, yes I've heard better, tighter and faster... But for their price you get nice thump.
3) idk... Never heard your speakers. Since he's a friend go demo them or have him bring them over for an in home audition then you can see if you like them more!

For $225 if you like them then they sound like a bargain.

Ps. I still have a single C-50 I used to use as a 6th speaker.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Why not do a side by side test with the Energy's and your Ascends.

If your stands are wobbily might want to buy better stands.

Only you will be able to tell if it is an upgrade over your current speakers. Do a side by side test and make your own impressions. The energy's will certainly have more bass in general but you will be missing out on deep bass without a subwoofer so you will end up buying a subwoofer soon enough there is no need then to get towers.:cool:

·
Registered
28,730 Posts
For $225 its a good deal for two larger tower speakers and the matching center...if you like how they sound!

I agree with the above poster, try them side by side with your Ascend speakers and keep the winner.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have the energy speakers all the way around now C-C100 center, the C-500 fronts, and C-R100 rear. I like the setup and have it for years with no issues. Running them with a pioneer elite receiver.

I am however replacing the front with the RC-70s and center with RC-LCR...move the 500's to the back.

For 225 I don't think you will beat what you are getting. They are very well made speakers and the sound they produce is above average.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts