AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this question on the remotes board and haven't gotten any response so I thought I'd ask you all.

Is there a simple remote to run 2 ReplayTV units and a television? The only thing I require is that the remote has backlighting. I don't need to run any more components, just be able to switch between two ReplayTV boxes.

All suggestions are welcome!

TIA

CJ

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
You need to look up Robman. He's the remote guru here.

I don't think you can separate 2 replays though... they've always only used ONE code sequence...

John

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
There are many remotes than can accomplish this. However... the first thing to consider is how you would like to switch between each Replay unit.

The only way I know is to start with one unit one, and the other off.... then, when you hit the power button you will switch one on and the other off, reversing which one you use.

Using this method, you can actually simply use the remote that came with the Replay and program it for the TV you have per the manual.

I don't think you can really have both Replay units on at the same time because they both respond to the same remote commands. This is a limitation of the Replay and not of any given remote control you might use.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'll let Robman elaborate but I think you CAN control two replays using JP1 codes/remotes. (The replay factory remote is JP1 programmable.)

If you don't want to mess with JP1 then you have to use the toggle method where one unit is on and the other is off.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rudy
I'll let Robman elaborate but I think you CAN control two replays using JP1 codes/remotes. (The replay factory remote is JP1 programmable.)

If you don't want to mess with JP1 then you have to use the toggle method where one unit is on and the other is off.
Yes, this is true. You can read all about JP1 here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/index.shtml

It may seem a little daunting at first, but it is really quite easy once you get used to the software and terminology. A JP1-configured remote is by far the best way to control multiple ReplayTVs in one room as you don't have to be diligent about ensuring that only one unit is on at a time.

If you do decide to go the JP1 route, I suggest a One for All 8 model URC-8811 (or 8810w at Wal-mart) for ~$20. The ReplayTV 5xxx remote, though JP1-capable, is pretty limited compared to a 8811/8810w.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.