AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to higher-end home audio (but very familiar with my 8 year old low end JVC HTiB). My dedicated home theater is 15x14 fully walled off with a door on the back side wall. It's pre-wired for 7.1. I have a ceiling mounted new projection system with 106" screen.

I will have two rows for seats and some scattered 'cubes' for extra seating.

My budget for now is to stay near $2000 for receiver and speakers. I'm not an audiophile but do like clear, clean, but not too bright sound. i'm also not really into extremely loud sound.

Uses for the room would be 60% HD movies, 25% PS3 gaming, 15% music.

I'd prefer in-walls for rear surrounds, and possibly inwalls or on-walls for side surrounds. not sure about floor standers or good bookshelves on stands for the fronts for a room this size. the sub should not be too big dimensionally.

any recommendations?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Personally I would start with:

energy rc-50 on clearance for $600 for 2

energy rc-LCr $400

energy rc-r $300 for 2

$400 on reciever

$300 emotiva sub

Be prepared for everyone to chime in on there favorite speakers, only you can decide which way to go as there is a ton of subjectivety in speakers. I can guarentee you the above set up, or any of the other suggestion will blow your htib away!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you think floor standers are overkill for this sized room? i do not intend to play extremely loud volumes (ie - usual commercial theater volumes to me are a bit too loud). also i do need a clean center channel for dialogue.

i've read through some of the energy threads. as far as i can tell - they are not too bright which is my preference - so suggestions definitely on track..

i also had in mind B&W 685's for the fronts but not sure about price/value, and a matching center might be a bit too much for the budget. how would 685's sound as mains in a theater room this size?

thanks!

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I would look at a Hsu system or an Ascend/Rythmik system.

Hsu HB-1/HC-1 fronts with HIW in-wall rears and VTF2 sub

or

Ascend CBM170 front left/right with CMT340 center and Rythmik F15 sub with something like Infinity in-walls for rears.

Either system will sound very nice and come with a high quality subwoofer while costing under 2k.

Another thing you could do is a Infinity Primus set with a Hsu, Outlaw Audio or Rythmik sub.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My favorite aspect of the rc-lcr is the vocal clarity. For me floorstanders take up as much room as bookshelves on stands, but will dig deeper than most bookshelves in your pricerange, and thus blend better with your sub.

Can't comment on the b&w since I haven't heard them. I would think the RC are a better value considering they are on closeout and the above system would cost closer to 3500 msrp. Based on your comments I think you would enjoy the flat sound of the energies better too. This is based on my personal opinions (ie. My ears) and it is your theater so your ears are the ones that need to decide!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
these all sound like good suggestions.

is it common practice to sample these speakers at home and then make returns if the sound is not what was desired, or do most people who order quality speakers online end up being happy with whatever they get?

also, i know that matching centers with front L/R is important but how important is it to match surrounds with the mains - at least in sound quality if not brand?

i'd also be interested to hear anyone's input about how BW 685s would stack up as main speakers in a 15 x 14 theater room.

·
Registered
392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsbridge /forum/post/19632477

these all sound like good suggestions.

is it common practice to sample these speakers at home and then make returns if the sound is not what was desired, or do most people who order quality speakers online end up being happy with whatever they get?

Online speakers usually come with a 30 day return policy if you aren't happy with the way they sound. Sometimes return shipping is on the company, sometimes it's at your cost. If you're interested start by looking at Aperion, Ascend, Axiom, HSU.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.