AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever done business with speedandsound.com? They have some pretty damn good prices on some items that I am about to purchase, but I haven't been able to find any reviews for them. I dont want to plunk down the cash and then find out that the guy is lying about having stuff in stock and ready to ship (a la crazy eddie). The other thing that makes me nervous is the fact that they are in Yonkers, NY. It seems like everywhere I turn the cheapest prices are in Yonkers, NY. When searching on yahoo shopping, the past 5 or 6 stores that I have looked at are all in Yonkers. What is it about this place that allows them to consistently crank out rock bottom deals? All I keep picturing are things "falling off the back of the truck", and thats something I want no part of. Thanks for any advice...:)

·
Registered
937 Posts
Their info page here http://www.speedandsound.com/info.html indicates they are not authorized dealers and have a short return period with additional charges. As long as you are aware of these and you don't mind.

Regarding yonkers, not exactly a shoppers paradise, but it does have many offshoots of the manhattan camera and a/v dealers that have provided so many buyers with so many stories of NY commerce (the box says minolta but the lens inside is a knock off) :D. Normally cheap prices, no return policy, package may not contain everything listed on the contents, may be factory defect, etc...

buyer beware

Regards, Michael

·
Registered
581 Posts
I too was considering buying from them at one time, that was until I picked up the phone and called them. Typical RUDE NY electronic re-seller! Customer service is important to me and if you can't at least act like you give two sh&ts about the customer on the phone then CYA. I refuse to spend one red cent with those types. Look elsewhere, you will find much better customer service and probably just about the same price.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Dude, you got it all wrong -- it's when the local NY sales people are nice that you should be concerned -- that means there is definitely something fishy! They aren't being rude, just showing their "inner selves":D

Regards, Michael

·
Registered
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mbpg
Dude, you got it all wrong -- it's when the local NY sales people are nice that you should be concerned -- that means there is definitely something fishy! They aren't being rude, just showing their "inner selves":D

Regards, Michael
One of my friends actually loves to buy from those guys up north! He loves the abuse, the more rude they are to him the more he loves it! Really, can't figure him out. Oh well, whatever trips your trigger...........

·
Registered
150 Posts
You should check the street addresses of all these Yonkers companies - they may all be the same place.

Looks like these guys have the same street address as Reliable Home Theater . I remember doing a google search at one point and found about three different sites with the same address in Yonkers.

I don't know if having multiple sites with the same address is necessarily a bad thing, but it sure would throw up a red flag to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not real sure if my info will be of help, being as though your post was dated the 9th. But if it helps, I purchased a six hundred dollar pioneer premier cd player for my vehicle from them not to long ago. I live in AZ so I was concerned about the shipping and not to mention spending that much cash on an something from an e-teller. I made the order over the phone, the person on the other end was fairly nice and professional. The service was great, recieved the deck in two days. The package was double boxed, and there were no signs of damage to the original box. The cd player works great and as far as I can tell speed and sound saved me two hundred bucks. I haven't had to return anything to them so I don't know how their costumer service holds up. But as for my experience with them I would purchase from them again.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Places are located in NY because that is where the people are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.