AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
No need to apologize for using BT - I get it. its easy. (and I am an anti-BT snob for fixed installations) However, using a FLAC file probably doesn't really make a difference(per say) because sending it over BT is like using a "skinny"/"degraded" wire. But I am glad you noticed a difference ( confirmation bias?).

if you really want the benefit of using a FLAC file, put your Marantz on your network and stream from your computer - the app should be able to see your computer as long as you are on the same network/subnet.
I'm already watching to some DLNA NAS product ;)

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
A big thank you for all this valuable information. I will try them later. Thank you so much.

Sometimes those small adjustments may seem mundane, but can make a big difference as you've discovered just by moving the sub. The issue you're facing is the sub is too small for the room so adding a 2nd one would be very beneficial and wouldn't break the bank. You'd just need Y splitter for the 2nd sub. IMO you should get the best you can out of your current speakers then decide if you want higher resolution speakers like Kef LS50, Canton Vento and so on.
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/bosasw250gba/boston-acoustics-asw250-10-250-watt-a-series-down-firing-subwoofer-black/1.html
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YRA-104-Dual-RCAF-Cable/dp/B000068O4Y/ref=sr_1_1?crid=31P5HTLF40X8R&dchild=1&keywords=rca+y+splitter&qid=1588865906&sprefix=rca+y,aps,165&sr=8-1&swrs=085302C6E6F62ACA67E6195C240895DF

Reactions: olipver

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sometimes those small adjustments may seem mundane, but can make a big difference as you've discovered just by moving the sub. The issue you're facing is the sub is too small for the room so adding a 2nd one would be very beneficial and wouldn't break the bank. You'd just need Y splitter for the 2nd sub. IMO you should get the best you can out of your current speakers then decide if you want higher resolution speakers like Kef LS50, Canton Vento and so on.
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/bosasw250gba/boston-acoustics-asw250-10-250-watt-a-series-down-firing-subwoofer-black/1.html
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YRA-104-Dual-RCAF-Cable/dp/B000068O4Y/ref=sr_1_1?crid=31P5HTLF40X8R&dchild=1&keywords=rca+y+splitter&qid=1588865906&sprefix=rca+y,aps,165&sr=8-1&swrs=085302C6E6F62ACA67E6195C240895DF
I read a lot yesterday about the famous question "what should be the size and the power of a sub for the size of my room". It almost looks like the quest for the Holy Grail. And I could actually notice that my submarine was only 100 watts. In a previous answer, I was told to take a look at the SVS PB-1000 and there is currently a great price on the Kef Kube 10b. I could see that the Totem Rainmaker was also at an attractive price. The fact remains that the adjustments made yesterday improved the quality of the music. During a test with a film I still have adjustments to make .... so many changes and / or adjustments in anticipation :) It's my birthday today, so why not change my audio equipment :)

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
I read a lot yesterday about the famous question "what should be the size and the power of a sub for the size of my room". It almost looks like the quest for the Holy Grail. And I could actually notice that my submarine was only 100 watts. In a previous answer, I was told to take a look at the SVS PB-1000 and there is currently a great price on the Kef Kube 10b. I could see that the Totem Rainmaker was also at an attractive price. The fact remains that the adjustments made yesterday improved the quality of the music. During a test with a film I still have adjustments to make .... so many changes and / or adjustments in anticipation :) It's my birthday today, so why not change my audio equipment :)
A ported sub PB-1000 will have much higher output below 40hz which is a big + if you're and action movie fan. A sealed sub Kef Kube 10b will have a more shallow drop off and won't have that high impact tactile feel, but will excel with music. A sealed sub will also have a smaller footprint. I went with dual Kef Kube 10b's because my focus is more musical, though they do a pretty good job for movies and games.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Op,

Back to your original question about speakers.

I like the idea of using Totem speakers, although I don't own any of their products, they were on my short list of speakers when I was looking. Take a look at their Sky model. I think you'll be impressed. New they are out of your budget, but they show up on the used market every now and then.

Also on the used market you may want to consider B&W's 705's, and even better, their 805's. Both of which will sound much better then your current setup.

While I'm not all that familiar with subwoofers (I'm learning), assuming you have the space, you may want to try and find another ASW 250 to match your existing sub. Bigger is better but two small subs are better than one big sub and I think used 250's, are affordable on the used market.

AND ---- Happy Birthday. Send me some cake and ice cream :)

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Op,

I like the idea of using Totem speakers, although I don't own any of their products, they were on my short list of speakers when I was looking. Take a look at their Sky model. I think you'll be impressed. New they are out of your budget, but they show up on the used market every now and then.

Also on the used market you may want to consider B&W's 705's, and even better, their 805's. Both of which will sound much better then your current setup.

While I'm not all that familiar with subwoofers (I'm learning), assuming you have the space, you may want to try and find another ASW 250 to match your existing sub. Bigger is better but two small subs are better than one big sub and I think used 250's, are affordable on the used market.

The OP is in Canada and it's slim pickings on the used market in his area. Prices on equipment is considerably higher (in most cases) as well. Good subwoofers in particular have limited options with high pricetags.

·
Registered
17,063 Posts
A PB1000 would be a marvelous birthday present to yourself, two would be even better. :)

Or one of these---they do ship to Canada and a forumite today reported that his stuff just arrived without any added Canadian duties/taxes, somehow...a Covid 19 bonus?
https://emotiva.com/collections/subwoofers/products/airmotiv-s15

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Op,

First of all, thank you :)

As pase22 mentions, good quality audio equipment is quite expensive here.

I'll take a look at the different options you mention ... for B&W the 607 model is the most affordable;)

Thank you very much

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
A PB1000 would be a marvelous birthday present to yourself, two would be even better. :)

Or one of these---they do ship to Canada and a forumite today reported that his stuff just arrived without any added Canadian duties/taxes, somehow...a Covid 19 bonus?
https://emotiva.com/collections/subwoofers/products/airmotiv-s15
Would I be wrong to put a Kef Kub 12b instead of 2 Kef Kube 10b?

As you said, order in the USA I will have to pay local taxes as well as customs clearance so the product will be quite expensive.

·
Registered
17,063 Posts
Would I be wrong to put a Kef Kub 12b instead of 2 Kef Kube 10b?

As you said, order in the USA I will have to pay local taxes as well as customs clearance so the product will be quite expensive.
With all the open space you have, I'd go dual to get more output.

How much are those KEF subs up there?

I've been told that Canadian taxes/duties are about 8%

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
With all the open space you have, I'd go dual to get more output.

How much are those KEF subs up there?

I've been told that Canadian taxes/duties are about 8%
I can have a 10b for arround 700 CAD ( 500 USD) and a 12b for arround 900 CAD (650 USD)

I have 2 taxes : 5% (federal tax) and 9.975% (provincial tax)

So for the 10b 804 CAD (574 USD) and for 12b 1035 CAD (743 USD)

For the Airmotiv S15 it will cost 1116 CAD + taxes + customs fees = $$ ;)

·
Registered
17,063 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
In that case I'd get two of the PB1000 for 700CAD each. It would kill the KEF subs.
https://www.amazon.ca/SVS-PB-1000-Subwoofers-Black-Ash/dp/B00K88UMPW
It will be now 2 weeks since my SVS and KEF arrived and I have only one thing to say: what the heck is going on :)
This SVS is a monster !!!! Both in weight and performance. My living room is now filled with bass, but in a spectacular way.
The KEF are also really wow.
It was a great purchase.
Now I wonder if my Marantz will be enough to drive my new setup.
Up to now yes.
It ouputs 60W at 6 ohms and It seems that 60W on 8 ohms would be more than enough (according to the calculation where the number of watts is multiplied by 2 with each increase of 3db to go from 87db to 105db - I saw that when Googling).
In fact 40W should be enough too.
Maybe my next purchase will be the upgrade of my M-CR611.
Thanks again for all your advice.

·
Registered
17,063 Posts
It will be now 2 weeks since my SVS and KEF arrived and I have only one thing to say: what the heck is going on :)
This SVS is a monster !!!! Both in weight and performance. My living room is now filled with bass, but in a spectacular way.
The KEF are also really wow.
It was a great purchase.
Now I wonder if my Marantz will be enough to drive my new setup.
Up to now yes.
It ouputs 60W at 6 ohms and It seems that 60W on 8 ohms would be more than enough (according to the calculation where the number of watts is multiplied by 2 with each increase of 3db to go from 87db to 105db - I saw that when Googling).
In fact 40W should be enough too.
Maybe my next purchase will be the upgrade of my M-CR611.
Thanks again for all your advice.
Good to hear, enjoy!

I'm curious, how do you like the PB1000 for music, as compared to your old sub?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Good to hear, enjoy!

I'm curious, how do you like the PB1000 for music, as compared to your old sub?
It's like night and day.

I used these tracks to make adjustments and the result is wow.

Eric Bibb - Kokomo
Hugh Laurie - John Henry
Mylène Farmer - Agnus Dei
Hans Zimmer - Moutains
Hans Zimmer - Mombassa

You don't just hear the bass, you feel it.

At a fairly high sound level, without it being harmful to the ears, the bass fills the room and envelops you.

·
Registered
17,063 Posts
It's like night and day.

I used these tracks to make adjustments and the result is wow.

Eric Bibb - Kokomo
Hugh Laurie - John Henry
Mylène Farmer - Agnus Dei
Hans Zimmer - Moutains
Hans Zimmer - Mombassa

You don't just hear the bass, you feel it.

At a fairly high sound level, without it being harmful to the ears, the bass fills the room and envelops you.
Would you say that upgrading the sub makes a much bigger difference than changing out the speakers?

·
Registered
17,063 Posts
Absolutely.
The subwoofer arrived first, so I was able to test it with my old speakers.
The difference was instant.
Do you feel like one PB1000 is already plenty for your needs, or would a second one be even better?

What I mean is, if you had to do it all over again, would you order a pair of PB1000 and skip the KEF speakers entirely?

Pardon all the questions, I just enjoy thought experiments. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Do you feel like one PB1000 is already plenty for your needs, or would a second one be even better?

What I mean is, if you had to do it all over again, would you order a pair of PB1000 and skip the KEF speakers entirely?

Pardon all the questions, I just enjoy thought experiments. :)
Personally, one PB1000 is more than enough.

However, I cannot say whether with a 2nd PB1000 the sound experience will be better. I would have to have one to be able to say "oh yes I absolutely need a second one".

If I had to start over, I think I would stay on my first idea with just one PB1000. Maybe one PB-2000 Pro.

However, I may have take the Q750. It was beyond my budget and I didn't have too much room for these speakers.

My philosophy is that if I want to change an element of my 2.1 kit then I will change the whole kit: this time it was the speakers.

Next time it will be the amp.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts