AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lastnight my wife broke our Sony VPL-VW10HT! We have been using it for 2 years with great pleasure but now it is gone. She won't tell me what really happened all I know is it won't turn on at all. The device has no power going into it at all. I have replaced the fuse but to no avail.

So I figured that this would be a pretty good time to upgrade. I am just not sure what I should upgrade too. I am currently using a 110" Dalite High Contrast Tensioned Cosmopolitan Electrol screen. I would like to keep it at a round the $6,000 mark and I have great lighting control. I was thinking of just upgrading to the 12HT. I wasn't sure if there is a better projector out there that I wasn't aware of around the same price range. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Right now there are about 3 projectors you can go with.

The NEC HT-1000, the Sanyo PLV-70 or possible a heavily discounted

Infocus 7200 or Toshiba clone

The other alternative is to go with a Madrigal B-Stock Dila (JVC G15) that we have listed. However, you would probably need to get a scaler to go along with it

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Rob,

I notice you are new to this forum and in a similar position to myself a few weeks ago.

I spent a long while reading the threads, looking at online reviews and visiting sites like Projectorcentral.

One thing is for certain everyone here has strong opinions and usually favour their chosen projector. There is a wealth of information and people are really helpful with knowledge and ideas. However my advice is sift what you are told carefully and make up your own mind.

For example: The Sanyo Daniel favours was on my list of projectors but I droped it because the light engine is not sealed and peversly I felt it was a bit too bright for my screen and would have caused too much reflection from my walls which are light coloured. Next: the NEC is not native 16X9 however that doesn't mean my money would be on the 7200 either.

Roger

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Rogers makes some good points about doing research and making one's own mind, however I didnt say I like or dislike the Sanyo. On the other hand, the PLV-70 has a nice bright image that does work with a lot of ambient light. I have spend some time with one and thought it had a very nice picture. Is there better, of course, there always is.

The NEC although is a 4x3 projector has a great picture and is highly regarded on this forum. Only bad thing about it is a large offset it produces.

Basically there is a required distance between the lens and the top of the screen. On a 45x80 inch screen, the top of the lens must be 19 inches above the screen. The bigger the screen, the bigger the distance. If you are concerned about it being 4x3, you can add a panamorph lens which will make it into a 16x9 projector

The Infocus has now been out for a while and has been a solid HD-2 chip projector. You can read about all of these projectors on the forum and see all of the pros and cons

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.