AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 60 inch Sony Wega 3LCD Projection 1080i tv.

I have always loved the TV until this past weekend when i went over to a friends house who has a 52 inch Samsung LCD we were watching the Eagles Cowboys game on. A few friends warned me before i went over how amazing his TV looked. They have watched blurays on his tv the last few weeks. I thought these people were just not used to watching HD tv's and i would be underwhelmed since i have a sony 60 inch hd set at home.

Well here is where my current situation changed. I couldnt stop staring at how bright and colorgul his tv looked. And being the tech nerd i am i am now thinking if i should buy one. He bought it a few months ago when Best Buy had a tv/bluray special for $1999. I dont think its a top of the line LCD.

Now my friend who used to have the exact same TV as me keeps trying to sell me on buying a Panasonic 50 inch plasma like he just bought for about 900. Its the 720p model.

Most reviews say that plasmas have a better picture than LCD's. But i cant explain why but his tv was probably the most clear bright set up a have ever seen in a house. So much that the first thing i did when i got home was try to adjust my TV settings to make it brighter. Well it didnt work.

So now what i am wondering is what the opinion is of others that may have went from either plasma or sony LCD projection TV's to Samsung LCD's.

Should i just be happy with what i have or look to move down 8 inches to get a 52 samsung lcd? or maybe go with the panny plasma. Also worth mentioning is that his tv was playing the game through his comcast hd cable box with component hookups. It really looked like what i would consider 1080p.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I can't think of any reason to move down in size unless you feel your current set is too big for the situation it is in. I like plasma better than LCD or DLP, but it's only an upgrade IMO if you stay with at least a 58" plasma. Panasonic has a very good 58", and Pioneer has a great 60".

·
471 Posts
I have some "advise" - next time spell it "advice"

Quote:
Originally Posted by superonyx /forum/post/15413798

Now my friend who used to have the exact same TV as me keeps trying to sell me on buying a Panasonic 50 inch plasma like he just bought for about 900. Its the 720p model.

Also worth mentioning is that his tv was playing the game through his comcast hd cable box with component hookups. It really looked like what i would consider 1080p.

Huh? You said it was a 720p model, but then said it is what you would consider 1080p??

If you are happy with what you have, then keep it. Only you can answer your question. No reason to buy a smaller TV unless you are running on a budget.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.