AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some HD650 for $290 about a month ago. Sounds great from Sound Blaster Z and straight out of iPhone/iPad, but volume is limited. What are the most common headphone amps in the $50-150 range? I am finding the Fiio E12 to be popular. Any others?

Also is there an easy way to get the digital audio stream from an iPhone?

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
I purchased some HD650 for $290 about a month ago. Sounds great from Sound Blaster Z and straight out of iPhone/iPad, but volume is limited. What are the most common headphone amps in the $50-150 range? I am finding the Fiio E12 to be popular. Any others?

Also is there an easy way to get the digital audio stream from an iPhone?
A few years ago I bought HD650s. I bought the firestone audio cute beyond. i've been very pleased with it. It's currently called beyondhd. It's a pure class A headphone amp and also has the ability to upgrade opamps. I've even seen one guy put burson audio discrete op amps in it. An amazon seller has it for 175. I've found it to be a very nice small amp. Creek audio has a similar cost/size amp as well. Hi-fi man has a sub 200 buck amp if you want to try tubes.

If I were buying today, I'd check out Schiit. They have headphone amps that range from 99 to 1700 (balanced). If I were upgrading I'd probably go with Burson audio Soloist SL. (599) or try to find a used HA-160 which Burson designed for the 650 HDs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bottlehead Crack w/speedball

After trying practically every headphone on the market, I keep coming back to the HD650. My two favorite amps I've owned for these headphones are the MAD Ear+HD Super II and the Bottlehead Crack w/speedball. I've owned amps by Woo, Schiit, Lehmann and many others, but I've settled on the Crack as my all-around favorite. I upgraded mine with a TKD volume control and giant Mundorf Evo capacitors. Even stock, it sounds great. Cheers!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Missed your price range...

...sorry, I quoted some expensive amps. If you're willing to tackle the build yourself, you can wait for the Bottlehead Crack to go on sale. You can also pick them up used occasionally very close to your price range.

I also run HD650 right out of an AQ Dragonfly and I know you can find those used for your price range.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
I've read that the Schiit and Burson sound really good with the HD650's. However, I'm very happy with my HD650/NuForce HA-200 combination.

Mike
NuForce makes great headphone amps. I'd probably want the HA-100, not needing the balanced output.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts