AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all-

I've got a pair of high efficiency Zu Essence speakers (12 ohms nominal; efficiency = 97 dB 1w/1m) and I'd like to drive them with an external amp rather than my Pioneer VSX-1120 receiver.


According to Crown I would need 36 watts to achieve 100 dB and 3dB of headroom so I figure 50 watts per channel would be pretty safe.


Any recommendations around the $500 mark new? Tube or SS, just want the best deal. Usage is 75% HT / 25% music. I've been looking at Jolida and Emotiva, although even the lowest wattage Emotiva is probably overkill.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,089 Posts
 http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-15...1214198&sr=8-4


I use a Pioneer 1120 and the lower Audiosource Amp110, myself. 2.1 setup. At that price for the 310, I wish I'd have waited.


Whatever company you decide, you should contact their CS and make sure they support 12ohms. You would think it wouldn't be an issue, but...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Emotiva UPA-7? If you go with a pro amp, you can maybe even do better with price. The UPA-7 has a pretty good price and a good SNR as memory serves.


If you don't trust Emotiva, look at what NAD might have. They have seemed to have resonably priced amps.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john m miller /forum/post/19573889


hello all-

i've got a pair of high efficiency zu essence speakers (12 ohms nominal; efficiency = 97 db 1w/1m) and i'd like to drive them with an external amp rather than my pioneer vsx-1120 receiver.


According to crown i would need 36 watts to achieve 100 db and 3db of headroom so i figure 50 watts per channel would be pretty safe.


Any recommendations around the $500 mark new? Tube or ss, just want the best deal. Usage is 75% ht / 25% music. I've been looking at jolida and emotiva, although even the lowest wattage emotiva is probably overkill.


Thanks!

qsc gx-3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M Miller /forum/post/19574578


150 watts is way more than I need. I think I would rather get cleaner, more detailed sound than headroom.

its 150 @ 8ohms, which is almost the same as the Emotiva UPA-2.
Plus they have smaller models.


What makes you think a comparable Emotiva will sound better?? That Audiosource (A Phoenix Gold company, btw) amp has all the fancy lingo too, Dual differential, Triple Darlington outputs, Toroidal power supply.
(They both weigh 30lbs, Amp310 and UPA-2)


Here an older model was tested. Made its specs and a pic of its internals is a few posts below the tested specs. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post14135949


For that matter, what makes you think an Emotiva or the other brand you listed will outperform the Pioneer driving only a pair of speakers? That Pioneer probably does close to 150x2 also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
qsc gx-3.

I already have a spare Crown 402d amp, but given the Zu's high efficiency, there's no reason for all that headroom.

Quote:
What don't you like about the Pioneers amps? Can't you get that amount of SPL with that reciever?

The Zu speakers are definitely ok being driven by the Pioneer, but I'm not sure I'm getting all I can out of my system with it. Plus, using an external amp frees up more power from the receiver to power my 4 rear speakers. Oh, and I've got about $500 in birthday/Christmas credit I can't think of a better way of using. (Very much a first world problem, isn't it?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,089 Posts
Have you tried the Crown to see if there's any difference sonically?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plugging in the Crown is going to be problematic. I have it set up in the room next to my receiver so I don't hear it. (The humming drove me nuts over the years.) The wires that I have coming from that amp are bare wire, but the Zu only accepts spade connections. So for me to test it out I would have to move it back into the other room, which would be a lot of hassle and try to hear the difference over the loud hum of the fans. Since pro amps aren't suited towards my speakers anyway there's really no reason to do that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,089 Posts
You realize you could go buy a couple spade connectors for less money than what you have under your couch cushions?? I am amazed that you have the ability to test if an external amp will give you the added benefit you want yet you won't test it and would rather blindly spend $500 to find out. I understand why you wouldn't want a loud amp, but you could atleast test it...


Sorry man, I just think you are about to waste $500. $500 would go a long way on some acoustical treatment, which would more of a sure bet on achieving better sound.


Have you ran MCACC on your AVR?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M Miller /forum/post/19575411


The Zu speakers are definitely ok being driven by the Pioneer, but I'm not sure I'm getting all I can out of my system with it. Plus, using an external amp frees up more power from the receiver to power my 4 rear speakers. Oh, and I've got about $500 in birthday/Christmas credit I can't think of a better way of using. (Very much a first world problem, isn't it?)

Then I would agree with the other recommendation of the Emotiva. For the holiday price it is hard to beat for a home theater amp unless you go pro amp which you seem to not want to. http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
You realize you could go buy a couple spade connectors for less money than what you have under your couch cushions?? I am amazed that you have the ability to test if an external amp will give you the added benefit you want yet you won't test it and would rather blindly spend $500 to find out. I understand why you wouldn't want a loud amp, but you could atleast test it...


Sorry man, I just think you are about to waste $500. $500 would go a long way on some acoustical treatment, which would more of a sure bet on achieving better sound.


Have you ran MCACC on your AVR?

Running a 350wpc pro amp to a pair of highly efficient Zu speakers doesn't make much sense at all. My 3wpc Miniwatt N3 rocks these speakers, why the heck would I need 100x that power? Sure, I can hook it up to satisfy my curiosity, but if I know it's not the solution, what's that going to do? I'm not sure a trip to Rat Shack would even be worth it at that point.


Besides, it's not $500 for the new amp, it's $500 - whatever I can get for the Crown. Spending $300 on an amp when I just got $3600 speakers is nothing.

Quote:
Then I would agree with the other recommendation of the Emotiva. For the holiday price it is hard to beat for a home theater amp unless you go pro amp which you seem to not want to. http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm

I really wish I could test an Emotiva without buying one. I might just go that route if I can't find anything else in my price range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac /forum/post/19576669


Have you ran MCACC on your AVR?

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M Miller /forum/post/19577428


Running a 350wpc pro amp to a pair of highly efficient Zu speakers doesn't make much sense at all. My 3wpc Miniwatt N3 rocks these speakers, why the heck would I need 100x that power? Sure, I can hook it up to satisfy my curiosity, but if I know it's not the solution, what's that going to do? I'm not sure a trip to Rat Shack would even be worth it at that point.


Besides, it's not $500 for the new amp, it's $500 - whatever I can get for the Crown. Spending $300 on an amp when I just got $3600 speakers is nothing.

My point is, you are expecting sonic differences simply by external amplification. You've already said, the Pioneer has more than enough power, so that's all thats left. I am one that believes a different Amp shouldn't sound any different than another, if it is working within its limits/design. If you just want to spend money and get some new equipment, by all means go for it, but you specifically stated you were expecting a difference in sound.


With what your trying to achieve and what you have, I could think of better ways to spend $500. (room treatment, Eq, get a different AVR with a different kind of Auto EQ, etc... )


But, Emotiva has a 30 day return policy, just pay return shipping. Go for it.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top