AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the Anthem AVM 20. It replaced a Marantz SR7000 which I was using to power the rear and pre-out to a Belles 150A 3 channel to drive B&W N805's and a HTM2 across the front. I was planning on de-mothballing an old NAD amp to drive the rears but it doesn't work. I would like to buy a very good 5 channel amp to drive all. (for the forceeable future I will only have 5.1) I have seen a few Pass X5's which from reading and talking seems to be my favorite except one minor flaw... it only comes in silver... all my components are black but I can live with the wrong color.

The reviews and from what I have heard the Anthem multi channel amps are just not as "fine" for music. I like jazz and vocals and would like an amp which will really match well with the 805's. I really do not want an amp which is harsh at all.

Please suggest what I should do. The Pass X5 really seems like the best music choice?

·
Registered
459 Posts
bull, buy the ati 1504 which is a 4x150 watts...same power rating as your belles 150. buying a 4 channel amp can save u some dinero vs. buying a 5 channel, anyway why need 5-channel? when u only need a 4-channel to complete your 7.1 setup...billie.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only have a 5.1 setup and want to replace the Belles. It does not have a 12v trigger and I think the Pass would be an improvement in sound....

·
Registered
459 Posts
oops, my bad bull. didn't read your post closely. anyway, i amp i suggested only cost around $1k and that should solve any future upgrade to 7.1 if u so desire to do then. yes, it would be a step down to get anthem amp vs. your belles. but i don't think the pass is an upgrade from the belles either. a friend told me that pass amp have dark sound nature, if u have bright sounding speakers then it mates well together. i had listened to the belles once and i hold it highly. is the 12v trigger mode must have for u ? if not, why not get another belles , the hot rod version, for your fronts?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I suggest that you go listen to an MCA 50 and then decide, I have an MCA 5 and used it for my 805's and now with N803's. I did not find it harsh at all. The MCA series seem to be a better performer than the PVA.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
A McCormack HT-5 amp would be great for music. It is a 5 channel version of their very well received DNA-125.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.