AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a home theater package.

receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 2600

10" HK subwoofer

HK surround 5.1 speaker set.

I've never owned a home theater system before, but is it normal behavior to hear a "thump/pop" noise from my subwoofer when I mute the volume on my receiver?

This also happens whenever I change channels when watching TV.

I know it's the subwoofer because when I turn it off, this behaviour does not occur.

Obviously, the louder I set my sub to, the louder the pop/thump is.

I brought this to the attention of a future shop employee, and he stated it was due to the "dirty power" circulating in my household, and convinced me to purchase a monster power HTS 950 power bar.

Of course, it didn't work so I will be returning this product...

Does anyone know why this behaviour is occurring and whether or not it is normal? Is it a subwoofer issue or a receiver issue? do other name brands behave this way?

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
In other forums, I have sometimes read of similar thumps but do not remember if the thump-issue was resolved.

My subwoofer has a large thump when I turn it on but otherwise it works fine (and is about 10 years old). There are no thumps at other times.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Sounds like a soft-start issue, or more specifically lack of one.

Are you using an auto setting on the on-off switch on the sub?

See if leaving it "on" alleviates the problem.

Basically what's going on is 1 of two things, either every time you change channels the amp shuts down and restarts too quickly, or, the recevier (aka preamp) is doing the same thing, in either case, as the audio feed is lost/gained.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts