AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the T-60 and Pannasonic 47" HDTV. Need to know if there is a good decoder box I can buy to use with these two pieces of equipment. I would really like to not have to buy a DirecTv/HDTV receiver instead of using my Tivo.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a very similar situation. I am looking for a HD box to go alongside my D-TIVO unit.

I will probably end up with the Panasonic DirecTv HD box. The reason is that I want HDNet, HD HBO, and HD OTA and I already have a DirecTv subscription. It seems to have fewer problems than the Sony.

Quick question- How is the picture on your larger TV through the D-TIVO? I am going to run mine through a projector, but I am worried about how it will look. Anybody out there using a D-TIVO through a projector of any kind?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Originally posted by pmturcotte:

"(also posted on AVS Tivo forum)

Is it/will it be possible to combine these 3 in one or two boxes? Currently have the T-60 with a new HDTV on the way. Was hoping to just hook up an HDTV decoder box to the unit, but sadly it does not work that way I guess.

Are there any talks about a unit which might accommodate this?

Thanks for your help.

note: I do not care about recording in HDTV yet, just recording period."

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
734 Posts
Understand that HDTV and TiVo are two fundamentally different and opposite ways to watch TV.

I had a DirecTiVo for about two months before I bought my HDTV and HD receiver. With the TiVo, you quickly learn that you can watch whatever you want, whenever you want, and can skip commercials as well. Your schedule is not tied to a broadcast schedule.

With HDTV, you return to the pre-TiVo paradigm, where you have to watch TV real-time and can't skip through commercials. What you get in return is, in some cases, a stunningly clear picture with vibrant colors.

I originally bought my DirecTiVo and added local channels so that I could record and watch the major network comedies and dramas and not have all the hassles of videotape. I then found that I was recording far more satellite channels than broadcast channels. I rarely recorded satellite channels before.

Now that CBS and ABC are broadcasting nearly their entire prime-time schedule in HD, I will watch those shows that I want to in HD. I'll have the DirecTiVo record everything just in case I miss something and watch the rest whenever I want. It will also let me get all of the programs on satellite channels that come on in the middle of the night or day when I wouldn't normally see them.

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc>f> w/2.5 (126 hours)

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc>f> w/2.5

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tom, so I can run the T-60 and say the RCA receiver together? I have two feeds from my dish into my T-60, how does the hook up go from there? I just want to get a grasp on how they work before I plunk down the money for the HD receiver.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sullmeist:
Quick question- How is the picture on your larger TV through the D-TIVO? I am going to run mine through a projector, but I am worried about how it will look. Anybody out there using a D-TIVO through a projector of any kind?
I'm using my DirecTiVo with my 65" Mitsubishi Diamond HD RPTV. I sit about 11' from the screen and PQ is usually OK, although it varies with the quality of the original source. Some DirecTV channels are more compressed than others. The PQ is definitely way better than with cable.

Remember that the DirecTiVo records the video stream directly from the satellte and decodes it as it is being viewed, so the picture is always exactly the same as if you were watching the direct satellite feed. It's not really a matter of what the DirecTiVo looks like with a large screen TV, but what DirecTV looks like.

------------------

Tom

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pmturcotte:
Thanks Tom, so I can run the T-60 and say the RCA receiver together? I have two feeds from my dish into my T-60, how does the hook up go from there? I just want to get a grasp on how they work before I plunk down the money for the HD receiver.

Thanks for all the help!
Now you're getting into a whole discussion about multiswitches!

You haven't mentioned which satellite dish you have, but if you have a 18" dish with a dual LNB, first you will have to replace the 18" dish with a 24" elliptical dish in order to also receive the HD signals from the 119 sat, since the regular channels all come from the 101 sat.

24" dishes usually come with a 4x4 multiswitch, which is required to combine and distribute the signals from both sats. This will allow you to connect up to four receivers, or one DirecTiVo and two other receivers, including the HD receiver. (You could just buy another 18" dish to point at the 119 sat, but you still have to buy a multiswitch and the 24" dish with multiswitch is cheaper than buying a 18" dish and a multiswitch.)

If your local broadcasters are broadcasting in HD, you'll also want to get a UHF antenna capable of receiving the OTA signals, as there will be far more programming OTA than on DirecTV this fall.

------------------

Tom

Mitsubishi WS-65907 65" Diamond HD RPTV

Mitsubishi SR-HD5 HD DirecTV receiver

ChannelMaster 3021 UHF antenna

[This message has been edited by TomF (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
112 Posts
I already have 3 Tivos (2 DirecTivos and 1 SA Tivo). I bought a RCA DTC-100 as an Open Box at Best Buy (paid around 300.00 for it).

The RCA is cheap, has built-in DirecTV (which you can either use or not), and it works just fine. I see no reason to spend $800 on the Sony or other models when I only watch 2 hours of HDTV programming a week!

------------------

endlessly (and mindlessly) in pursuit of clarity and precision

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.