AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
title pretty much says it all. Nothing super nice as I already own an XP 30 for my R1 DVDs.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Don't know if it's inexpensive enough for you, but http://www.220-electronics.com/ is selling a hacked JVC 500 for ~$180. That's a pretty good price for such a beast. No chroma bug. Decent film-mode deinterlacing, especially if you force film mode. Generally well liked PQ although maybe a tad softer than your XP30. Secret's reviewed older versions of JVC players, which pretty much had the same guts and design.

OR if you really want to go cheap, give the Cyberhome 500 a try. They run ~$80 at Best Buy. You just need to do a remote hack to get region-free playback--I believe it comes w/ PAL->NTSC already enabled. People on a tight budget seem to love it although its PQ will likely pale in comparison to your XP30. No chroma bug. QC and reliability are quite questionable as can be expected w/ a budget player from a no-frills maker. Was also reviewed by Secret's.

_Man_

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the suggestions

I had a US JVC 500 that up and died on so I went and purchased the XP 30. I agree thought the PQ on the JVC was very good.

I know at VCD help they are still trying to find a multiregion hack for it and are close but still not there. I'll look into the cyberhome as well and see how good/bad the PQ is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.