AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I blew out my receiver when banana plugs (from monoprice) touched on one of my speakers.

I'm now looking for banana plugs with insulated jackets, so I don't have to worry about this happening again in future.  I found some Monster plugs but they are ridiculously expensive (almost $20 per plug on Amazon).

Can anyone recommend inexpensive plug with non-conductive body (to prevent shorts)?

Thanks.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Brent  /t/1523202/need-an-inexpensive-safe-banana-plug#post_24500477

I blew out my receiver when banana plugs (from monoprice) touched on one of my speakers.

I'm now looking for banana plugs with insulated jackets, so I don't have to worry about this happening again in future.  I found some Monster plugs but they are ridiculously expensive (almost $20 per plug on Amazon).

Can anyone recommend inexpensive plug with non-conductive body (to prevent shorts)?

One word: Speakon

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/speakon-hpc-speaker-connectors/1510

Very different, but they have many advantages including being short-out proof. Problem is that nobody puts them on consumer amps, so you are still stuck with the banana jacks on the back of the AVR.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Brent  /t/1523202/need-an-inexpensive-safe-banana-plug#post_24500477

Thanks.

At least you have learned to turn off the amplifiers when you connect speakers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1523202/need-an-inexpensive-safe-banana-plug#post_24501997

At least you have learned to turn off the amplifiers when you connect speakers.
That wasn't the problem.  I was turning up my subwoofer volume and accidentally jarred the speaker, causing the banana plugs to touch.  I was disappointed that the plugs were not more secure in the posts.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1523202/need-an-inexpensive-safe-banana-plug#post_24501986

One word: Speakon

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/speakon-hpc-speaker-connectors/1510

Very different, but they have many advantages including being short-out proof. Problem is that nobody puts them on consumer amps, so you are still stuck with the banana jacks on the back of the AVR.

Could you clarify the use of "Speakon" with consumer speakers with typical binding post connectors? Does the problem you list also apply there? Looking at the URL you posted it seems the application for these in the home would be for connecting various gear to a wall plate, but not suitable for connections to the gear itself. Is that accurate?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Good question.  I don't see how to use the speakons on my speakers: Def Tech ProCinema 1000 5.1, and Energy CF-70's in zone 2.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Brent  /t/1523202/need-an-inexpensive-safe-banana-plug#post_24503124

Good question.  I don't see how to use the speakons on my speakers: Def Tech ProCinema 1000 5.1, and Energy CF-70's in zone 2.

I use Speakons with consumer speakers 2 ways:

(1) I update the speaker to use Speakons which takes some disassembly and boring holes and wiring.

(2) I use Speakons for wiring that is in the wall. Speakon wall plates are neat because they are almost flush with the wall. There are right angle Speakon connectors, too. There are Speakons with 2, 4, and 8 contacts so you can route up to 4 completely independent speakers through one connector. Speakons latch and unlatch with the flick of your wrist.

Many pro amps have Speakons and some only have Speakons.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1523202/need-an-inexpensive-safe-banana-plug#post_24503397

I use Speakons with consumer speakers 2 ways:

(1) I update the speaker to use Speakons which takes some disassembly and boring holes and wiring.

(2) I use Speakons for wiring that is in the wall. Speakon wall plates are neat because they are almost flush with the wall. There are right angle Speakon connectors, too. There are Speakons with 2, 4, and 8 contacts so you can route up to 4 completely independent speakers through one connector. Speakons latch and unlatch with the flick of your wrist.

Many pro amps have Speakons and some only have Speakons.

Thank you for the added details.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts