AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hard time finding a mATX motherboard to meet my needs. Has to support Socket 478, AGP 6800GT, and 3 other PCI slots. Could care less about onboard sound. Would love it to have 10/100/1000 Ethernet. Has to have headers for USB and most importantly firewire to connect my front panel. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Looks very promising.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep. I already have a mATX board with no firewire :(. Oddly enough the points for the headers are there, leaving me to wonder if a skilled solderer could attach them! But I digress :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet
I'm having a hard time finding a mATX motherboard to meet my needs. Has to support Socket 478, AGP 6800GT, and 3 other PCI slots. Could care less about onboard sound. Would love it to have 10/100/1000 Ethernet. Has to have headers for USB and most importantly firewire to connect my front panel. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have an AOpen with onboard Gigabit Ethernet and other as you specified except firewire. It does have 3 PCI along with 1 AGP.....

related models are -

MX4SGI 4DL2

MX4SGI 4DN2

I have to buy it in Japan

·
Registered
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet
Yep. I already have a mATX board with no firewire :(. Oddly enough the points for the headers are there, leaving me to wonder if a skilled solderer could attach them! But I digress :)
Most likely the firewire chip is missing also.. as well as BIOS support.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just make sure the slots are actually useable. I bought a mATX mobo to build an HTPC with and after I got the board found out that my PVR cards wouldn't work in 2 of the 3 slots because there were headers and/or capacitors between the edge of the PCI slots and the end of the board. My PVR cards (PVR 500's) had an IO jack that was at the bottom of the card which made it basically sit below the top of the PCI slot between the end of the PCI slot and the rear of the case.

That IO jack would hit on the headers/capacitors causing the card to not fully seat in the slot.

I ended up having to can the mATX thoughts and go with a full sized board because I couldn't find a mATX board with enough PCI slots (and a PCI-E for video) that would work with my PVR cards.

Just an FYI so you hopefully don't end up like I did with a board that wouldn't work for what you want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.