AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been gathering info on LCD's and Plasmas. I am going to buy soon a 42 inch (no more or less) either an LCD or Plasma for a master bedroom that is pretty large. The TV will be on top of a cabinet and a much higher than level but this is the best place to put it. I keep reading 1080P is not worth it in a 42 or less screen and some people like LCD and some like plasmas. The room will be fairly dark when watching (bedroom at night with or without lights on) and not a main TV by any means. LCD's seem real brite but some say its to brite. And lastly, I'm looking for a real budget price and under $1,000 if possible. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. My thought is that any choice will be fine considering this is not a main TV.

·
Registered
488 Posts
only you can answer the question on plasma v. lcd, but i will say i don't think you can get an lcd in 42"s. I have a 42" plasma in the bedroom and love it. my wife loves it except if she tries to watch it in the day time as there are windows directly opposite the armoire the tv is in. other than that it works beautifuly.

i had an lcd (46") and compared to the plasma, the lcd is "brighter" but I didn't think it was as crisp a picture. just my 2 cents.

under $1k, look at the samsung 4254 or panny 42px75u...they are typically on sale for under (or around) that price.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I also have a 42" in the bedroom and in my case 1080p would be a waste because our viewing distance is actually further (about 12 feet) than it is in the livingroom.

·
Registered
325 Posts
there are MANY lcds in the 42 inch size

i have a plasma and a lcd

i got a olevia 42 inch lcd.

its perfect for my bedroom. i bought a 60$ wallmount from walmart and its great.

i wouldnt go 1080p anything under 46 inchs.

and if it was for something like a living room id do plasma but just for the bedroom might as well go for lcd

·
Registered
613 Posts
Plasma is pretty much a no briainer in a dark environment IMO. Its a tossup with medium lighting and LCD for bright rooms. Main thing I don't like is the non square pixels on 42" plasma. That IMO would be the big issue for going 1080p on 42".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts