AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved across town and my movers beat up my old Mitsubisihi 50803 (diamond series 50" 4:3 HDTV - 1st Generation) TV. The picture on the unit is still great but they managed to do a number on the cabinet. The reapair costs to take the cabinet back to "original" condition are in excess of $1000. I paid for insurance on the move and can get the unit fixed at no cost to me if I so desire. My other option, which the mover offered, was to buy my tv from me, as is, for $750-$800. I've already checked around and I can offload my HD1080 decoder for an additional $200.

That being said I have two choices.

a - Fix tv and move on.

b - Take the money and run.

I'm leaning towards (b) because my tv is "old" by todays standards, can not handle progressive scan, and is not 16x9.

So far.... Any thoughts.

If I do take the money and run I need some help.

Should I...

1. pick up a Mits 65711 in the very low $3000 range (hope this doesn't violate any rules) from a number of local retailers.

2. wait another month or so and pick up a Mits 65613 in a slightly higher price bracket (still low to mid $3k range). The only issue here is my wife hates the slate gray cabinet.

I would love to get the Mits 65813, but I'm not too sure I want to spend $5000 on a new TV set.

Keep in mind I have about $1000 to put towards this purchase and then can get anywhere from 1-2 year financing on the rest.

If you guys were in my shoes, what would you do.

Any and all help is appreciatied.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would definitely go for the 65613. The line doubler in the new Mits models handles SD much better than previous years and the stretch modes have been improved. Plus it's got Netcommand 3.0, firewire and DVI. I've been waiting for this particular model, and it looks like it is starting to finally (slowly) show up in stores and should become more commonly available over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wait until you have the cash to buy a set, then get it. Financing will only get you in trouble in the end (no one give me that crap about no interest, because we all know if you miss one payment of do not pay it off in the allotted time, you are charged for all back interest).

By that time, you will be able to get a better set for cheaper. Take the $1000 and get a good TV, or save up for a better one.

With that said, when you are ready to buy....If you are going to get a RPTV, I recommend the Hitachi or Mits.

I have a 57TWX...and am very happy...but the SD stretch could be better...The newer models address this issue (like on the Mits)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.