AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I just purchased a Yamaha RX-A730. I previously had a Pioneer receiver with Bose speakers box kit purchased from Sam's Club in 2007. I hooked the new receiver up to the existing Bose speakers and the volume is terrible on the new receiver. I have to set the Yamaha receiver volume around -18 to -20 DB to get the low end effect of the volume I had before. The Yamaha powers on at -40 DB and we can barely hear whispering sounds out of the speakers when the TV is on. I called Yamaha support and they suggested better speakers. Borrowed my neighbors high end tower 3 way floor speakers and still experiencing a lack of volume on his speakers. Keep calling Yamaha support and asking if there is a television setting they recommend and not really getting anywhere. I have also been waiting on hold an average of 20 minutes per call.  The same volume DB setting on FM stereo is much louder than on the TV HDMI setting on the Yamaha. I am very disappointed in the performance so far and wanted to reach out for suggestions prior to returning the unit and hooking the old receiver back up.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Did you run YPAO calibration?

·
Registered
28,917 Posts
There is probably an adjustment for volume for each input on that receiver so that it can be adjusted to match volume levels of the other inputs. I know my Denon receivers have that. I suspect Yamaha does too. I don't own any Yamaha receivers so I can't tell you where it is. My guess is its somewhere in the setup menu

if you don't have access to a manual you can find it here.
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/022/022RXA730.PDF

·
Registered
28,917 Posts

Quote:
I previously had a Pioneer receiver with Bose speakers box kit purchased from Sam's Club in 2007. I hooked the new receiver up to the existing Bose speakers and the volume is terrible on the new receiver.
Quote:
I called Yamaha support and they suggested better speakers.

That's funny!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I am thinking about selling the Bose and getting the Polk RTI 6 Bookshelf Speakers as L and R Fronts and the Polk CSI5 Center and upgrading the sub and surround later due to my budget. Do you think that would be a good choice? I am new to this and would like to have an optimal sound to match this receiver I just bought. I only have 4 days left to return if it is actually the Yamaha unit that is under performing. 

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I also wanted to know if I can add an amp later to add additional power if needed with this receiver?

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxbeck  /t/1523053/need-assistance-with-yamaha-rx-a730#post_24510283

I also wanted to know if I can add an amp later to add additional power if needed with this receiver?

No the RX-A730 does not have pre-outs for adding an amp. The one below will serve your needs. Excellent buy for the money. And it does have pre-outs.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HTR-7065-channel-receiver/dp/B00AZE78KQ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts