AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Message says it all, I need one if someone has it. Also, can you run custom resolutions with this adapter or are you stuck with 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i.....?

Let me know.

· Registered
299 Posts
What model of ATI do you have? On ATI's web page, they offer what appears to be two different versions. One for the 9700 series, and one for the 8500 series.

I just wish my old ATI AIW Radeon (called AIW Radeon 7200 now I think) had the Component option.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
damn, i was afraid of that..... I have the 9700 pro

· Registered
3,496 Posts
Just buy a transcoder and be free of the BS. ATI adapter also is used to block viewing macrovision DVD's at higher than 480p withoout running other software to strip the macrovision. there is none of this nonsense with a transcoder.

· Registered
11 Posts
Can I use the ATI adapter to output to my non-HD TV( Sony 36fv300). It supports 480i, so I think I should be able to do it. But am not sure of what quality I should expect. I just want something better than the S-Video TV out on my AIW 8500. My primary purpose is going to be watching divx movies using a HTPC. Anybody have any experience with using 480i for this?

· Registered
6,653 Posts
While you can't run much in the way of custom resolutions with the adapter (I do have 856x480p working), custom timings do work with Powerstrip.

I can get these resolutions to work @540p/1080i timings with the purple adapter & 9500pro w/ CAT 3.2 drivers, displayed on a Mits 55819:

640x480p

720x480p

856x480p

1776x1000i

1920x1080i

All progressive scan timings are locked at 33.75KHz and 59.947Hz, and interlaced are 33.75KHz and 30Hz. Check the guide in my sig for more adapter info.

If you only need 2 resolutions, desktop & DVD playback, then the dongle is recommended...I use 856x480p and 1920x1080i.

If you need for more resolutions for gaming, etc, go with a transcoder.

The advantage of the dongle is price, ease of use, and 1080i DVD playback.

The advantage of a transcoder is more control and range of flexibility of custom T & Rs-when connected to the VGA port-...and no MV restrictions.

· Registered
1,242 Posts
So, with the ATI adapter you can't play some (or all) 1080i copy protected DVD's without additional software? What is the most favored and affordable transcoder available? Are there any that will connect to DVI from VGA or DVI?

· Registered
6,653 Posts
Correct, you need a MV stripping utility to play protected DVDs >480p.

The Key Digital VTCA-2 is preferred, the Audio Authority model is a slightly lower cost alternative (no 720p). Check www.digitalconnection.com for more info. All use the VGA output of your video card.

You actually want to avoid using the DVI port because the VGA port has less T & R restrictions. I tried the DVI output of my Radeon 9500 (via DVI-VGA adapter) on my transcoder and while the PQ was about the same, I got al lot of virtual desktops on resolutions that work fine via the VGA port.

· Registered
1,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by debsman
I have both the ATI and the AA transcoder, much prefer the transcoder...the ATI adapter is collecting dust on my shelf.

Get the transcoder...you won't regret it.

Is there a difference in picture quality? I think I've read here in a few places where people said that the ATI dongle has a slightly better PQ.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.