AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Looking to buy a decent home cinema setup which will mainly be used for movies and sports watching.

There are existing 6" in ceiling speakers which I think are pretty basic, and the center channel is oddly not where it should be, think 2-1-2 formation rather than 3-2 as it should be. The center channel also resides above where the couches are. Very odd, but that's what was left there.

I am decided on screen and projector, however I have no idea what to do in terms of the audio - keep the existing and just buy a budget amp to power? Replace them with something better? Change to in-walls? Change to wall-mounts?

I do have pictures of the room layout but unfortunately can't post them just yet given I am newb :)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I will keep this basic and chock full of my opinions.

First, I have never heard a ceiling speaker I liked, especially not for LCR. By definition, the sound is diffused and can't be associated with what is happening on the screen. FWIW, I don't really like them for surrounds either, but that is usually more a matter of poor placement.

In walls are better, but usually have poor speaker quality, limiting the sound. Personally I prefer standalone for the flexibility

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will keep this basic and chock full of my opinions.

First, I have never heard a ceiling speaker I liked, especially not for LCR. By definition, the sound is diffused and can't be associated with what is happening on the screen. FWIW, I don't really like them for surrounds either, but that is usually more a matter of poor placement.

In walls are better, but usually have poor speaker quality, limiting the sound. Personally I prefer standalone for the flexibility
Thanks bro.

Yeah, the general sentiment I am getting is that inceilings aren't great.

Unfortunately, the room doesn't really lend itself to floor standers and my wife hates them, so I guess I'm looking at in walls or maybe even a soundbar...

Re. separates, I was told this by a company that came to do an assessment:

your speaker cables are not in the correct locations for MT50 and the rears are too far behind your sofa locations.

Wish I could attach some pics!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.