AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned a PS3 for over a year and it's finally starting to predominate my playing time. That said, I just got an Onkyo 876 to go with my Atlantic Tech 150 speakers and I'm more than a little confused with the audio setup.

I only have a 5.1 surround and I have the audio checked to PCM 5.1. Is this the same as True HD? The sound, to me, is a lot fuller than I get with the 360.

I'm sorry if this message sounds confusing, I just want to pick the optimum setting and I don't know if I have or not.

· Registered
1,885 Posts
If you're running HDMI from your PS3 to the receiver, go to sound settings and let the PS3 auto-detect the compatible audio. Then, set your PS3 to output PCM (which you have it seems) so that it decodes the hi-def codecs. The PS3 can not bitstream TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

· Registered
227 Posts
You're good to go for games, many make the mistake of not telling the receiver that their are only 5 speakers so hopefully you have the back speakers set to none!

Games use PCM, you can't chnage any options for how games give sound to the reciever, just make sure all your 5.1s are checked and you've done your part.

Blu-Ray Movies use PCM, Dolby True HD or DTS MA, they are all lossless codecs and are of competitive/equal quality.

· Registered
2,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwright77 /forum/post/15415665

If you're running HDMI from your PS3 to the receiver, go to sound settings and let the PS3 auto-detect the compatible audio. Then, set your PS3 to output PCM (which you have it seems) so that it decodes the hi-def codecs. The PS3 can not bitstream TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

This is correct

The PS3 will decode the True HD etc. So you wont see the lil TrueHD or DTS light show up on your Onkyo.If do the auto detect you will be getting the HiDef codec at the bit rate your AVR can support.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok . . . thanks, I think I understand now. PCM 5.1 is what I want for games. I did do the auto-detect thing but the PS3 will put me in a 7.1 setup and I don't have the rear speakers (don't have a place to put them or I would).

I don't know what the PS3 is outputting, but the sound is a lot more immersive than my 360. Maybe I need to change it's settings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.