AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a lot of reading on your great site, but I need some help. I need to know which media streamer is the best for me. All the opions I've been reading have made my head hurt!

What I would use it for:

Playing *audio* files from my pc on my stereo. I'd like the device to display on my TV, and be able to select what to play on that. I've read that some devices have crappy GUI's and make it tough to queue up the songs, so I want one that excels in this area. I guess it doesn't have to display through a TV..as long as searching/queing songs is fantastically easy.

I'd also like to be able to control what the device is playing from my PC when the mood strikes me.

All of my audio is in plain jane mp3 format.

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you don't need tv output I very much recommeded slimdevice's squeezebox. It uses slimserver, a program that runs on your pc, that lets you control what's playing from a web browser, or you can use the included remote control and the device's built-in flourescent display to pick things to play.

There are tons of plug-ins and lots of flexibility in the on-display menus so you can set it up to work pretty much anyway you want. There is a very nice plug-in that makes searching from the remote even easier (greatly reducing the number of button presses), and development of the open source slimserver is very active.

The downside, of course, is no tv display.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I second the Squeezebox recommendation. It's the most mature and fully polished audio streamer out there, by a significant margin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.