AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need opinions and ideas ASAP! Well my Pioneer 1021 is finally giving up the ghost with the dreaded UE22 and crackling popping and sound dropping out. I have read about the "******* reflow" procedure with a heat gun, and may try and give it a shot after I have a replacement just to get more life out of it in another room, but I have done heat gun reflows on PC board before and know I might just brick it.....so....I need a replacement!

Sadly I was laid off last year and just shifted to the Mr Mom thing, so we are now a one paycheck family and money is tight so I am absolutely required to stay under $400 and really $300 is a target.

Here are the details...

My Speakers: Pioneer 2 SP-FS51-LR 2 SP-BS21-LR, and a SP-C21
Subwoofer BIC F12
TV/Monitor VIZIO M551d-A2R
Room is roughly 15x25 feet (probably less on both by a few....

This is our main entertainment room, this is used for PC use, Home Theater, gaming. It is used CONSTANTLY! This is also the playroom for the toddler.....not having a AVR is just not an option. It is also my PC monitor as I can do work on PC from couch while I watch my son play. I currently have 4 HDMI devices plugged in and honestly i switch one out and would love to put all 6 (PC, Wii U, Wii( we have older pad games), Ps3, popcorn hour, Ouya)

I love my bass.....and while the true LFE heads may look down on my BIC12 it seems to get the job done and with my current Amp. I need good DTS for my blu-rays! My first thought was to look at a 1024, or a 1123 as there are some very good deals on 1123 via Amazon warehouse deals....I am used to the Pioneer setup, I am an audiophile noob so the MCACC was a nice feature as I have no idea how to set this stuff up. Also we all have Iphones and playing our stuff over the air on the receiver is a neat feature...but not a deal breaker if I lose it, as we don't use it as much as I would have thought.

From a user standpoint I love Pioneer...I love the features and how it's set up so it is what I am leaning towards at the moment......however from a owner standpoint I am pretty ticked that a bad chip is crapping the system out on me after just 4 years of use....and I am definitely willing to look at what else is out there that might sound as good or better and have better reliability....but given how much this is used I need a replacement pronto as in today, as in I will likely be making a purchase in 24-48 hours...great deal or not.

I am also looking at some Onkyo's and Yamahas...I am open to used as long as there is a fair return policy, and I can get a SqTrd warranty on it....my guess is given my price limitations open box or used are my best bets. So if i am looking at VSX 1024/1123 (I can find both in the 300 range currently......(albeit second used) what else should I consider? ...and if you know a phenomenal deal and can tell me why, please by all means message me with info.. My son uses this constantly for movies and mario......I must have a replacement ASAP!!!!

Amazon is luckily located in my town though so I know if I get it through them I can have it by Saturday or monday at latest so also leaning towards ordering there! However if there is a better deal elsewhere I am all ears. (not interested in any deals from forum members though, thank you)

·
The Village Idiot
9,712 Posts
If you are willing to buy used with no warranty why not chance it and buy refurbished? Accessories4Less.com has some nice buys on refurbs - most of them come with one year of warranty. For reliability I'd buy a Yamaha - for the most gadgets Onkyo is the clear winner. I'd rather have reliability. Acessories4Less is located in Florida so shipping to you should be quick.

Reactions: ChromeJob

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are willing to buy used with no warranty why not chance it and buy refurbished? Accessories4Less.com has some nice buys on refurbs - most of them come with one year of warranty. For reliability I'd buy a Yamaha - for the most gadgets Onkyo is the clear winner. I'd rather have reliability. Acessories4Less is located in Florida so shipping to you should be quick.
So is there a particular receiver you recommend? I know little to nothing about Onkyo and Yamaha, was just looking at the Onkyo 636's though. Really would like specific recommendations.:confused:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Reactions: John_East_Tn

·
The Village Idiot
9,712 Posts
So is there a particular receiver you recommend? I know little to nothing about Onkyo and Yamaha, was just looking at the Onkyo 636's though. Really would like specific recommendations.:confused:
OK - don't buy an Onkyo. There are reams of threads on the problems with the HDMI boards and problems with capacitors. I've been bitten by three of their products. Live and learn! Yamaha is IMO the most reliable AVR on the market these days. Denon and Marantz are a close second. Both are owned by D&M so I would expect their products to perform similarly. I've owned several Denon AVR's in past years and had good luck with them. Yamaha seems to get the least amount of 'my avr is broken' threads. Find the AVR that appeals to you based on the bells and whistles that you want and need.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
(PC, Wii U, Wii( we have older pad games), Ps3, popcorn hour, Ouya)
If by "older pad games" you mean games that use the Wii remotes that came with the original Wii, you're in luck. You can play all Wii games on the Wii U, and use all your old Wii remotes. As far as I know, literally everything that was compatible with the Wii is compatible with the Wii U.

I had a Wii, bought a Wii U, and this has been my personal experience.

You can also transfer all your save game data from your Wii to your Wii U (step by step process, look up Nintendo's official description). I see no reason to have your Wii hooked up if you have a Wii U. Sell the Wii on CL for $50 or something and put the funds toward the AVR.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the quick replies!

Okay I am seeing the RX-V675 for $329.95 new on Amazon %50 off, That Denon AVR-X2100W looks VERY interesting and a sexy beast but how much better is it then the Yamaha RX-675? Also that accessories for less has the RX-677 $369

I know zilch about Dennon and Yamaha...But I do know that while I loved the features and set up of the Pioneer I want something that is a bit more reliable. However i really do need a system that can set itself up...I have heard the YPAO thingy on Yamaha is rather basic compared to Pioneer's MCACC set up. Really need info, knowledge thoughts.....and is everyone in agreement to forget Pioneer?

On the RX-477 is that not a step back from what I have? I don't mind going from 7.1 to 5.1 I guess as I couldn't put rear speakers in room if I wanted to.....but is it comparable to these others in quality? Reliability? features etc?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If by "older pad games" you mean games that use the Wii remotes that came with the original Wii, you're in luck. You can play all Wii games on the Wii U, and use all your old Wii remotes. As far as I know, literally everything that was compatible with the Wii is compatible with the Wii U.
Not everything...
WE have DDR matts, Active Life Mat, etc (pads etc that require a gamecube port like on original wii....there is an adapter I think to use gamecube controllers on wii-u but the ddr matts etc simply will not work on wii u (huge lag, and some buttons do not work). Only thing you can do is keep an original wii. We have a seriously nice ddr platform, I wish it would use the Wii U but it will not..:( Still not an issue I just have them both hooked up. Plus I can still use the old Wavebird controller on original Wii and play all gamecube games, can not do that on a Wii U! :p

·
Registered
237 Posts
Need opinions and ideas ASAP! Well my Pioneer 1021 is finally giving up the ghost with the dreaded UE22 and crackling popping and sound dropping out. I have read about the "*******" reflow procedure with a heat gun, and may try and give it a shot after I have a replacement just to get more life out of it in another room, but I have done heat gun reflows on PC board before and know I might just brick it.....so....I need a replacement!

Sadly I was laid off last year and just shifted to the Mr Mom thing, so we are now a one paycheck family and money is tight so I am absolutely required to stay under $400 and really $300 is a target.

Here are the details...

My Speakers: Pioneer 2 SP-FS51-LR 2 SP-BS21-LR, and a SP-C21
Subwoofer BIC F12
TV/Monitor VIZIO M551d-A2R
Room is roughly 15x25 feet (probably less on both by a few....

This is our main entertainment room, this is used for PC use, Home Theater, gaming. It is used CONSTANTLY! This is also the playroom for the toddler.....not having a AVR is just not an option. It is also my PC monitor as I can do work on PC from couch while I watch my son play. I currently have 4 HDMI devices plugged in and honestly i switch one out and would love to put all 6 (PC, Wii U, Wii( we have older pad games), Ps3, popcorn hour, Ouya)

I love my bass.....and while the true LFE heads may look down on my BIC12 it seems to get the job done and with my current Amp. I need good DTS for my blu-rays! My first thought was to look at a 1024, or a 1123 as there are some very good deals on 1123 via Amazon warehouse deals....I am used to the Pioneer setup, I am an audiophile noob so the MCACC was a nice feature as I have no idea how to set this stuff up. Also we all have Iphones and playing our stuff over the air on the receiver is a neat feature...but not a deal breaker if I lose it, as we don't use it as much as I would have thought.

From a user standpoint I love Pioneer...I love the features and how it's set up so it is what I am leaning towards at the moment......however from a owner standpoint I am pretty ticked that a bad chip is crapping the system out on me after just 4 years of use....and I am definitely willing to look at what else is out there that might sound as good or better and have better reliability....but given how much this is used I need a replacement pronto as in today, as in I will likely be making a purchase in 24-48 hours...great deal or not.

I am also looking at some Onkyo's and Yamahas...I am open to used as long as there is a fair return policy, and I can get a SqTrd warranty on it....my guess is given my price limitations open box or used are my best bets. So if i am looking at VSX 1024/1123 (I can find both in the 300 range currently......(albeit second used) what else should I consider? ...and if you know a phenomenal deal and can tell me why, please by all means message me with info.. My son uses this constantly for movies and mario......I must have a replacement ASAP!!!!

Amazon is luckily located in my town though so I know if I get it through them I can have it by Saturday or monday at latest so also leaning towards ordering there! However if there is a better deal elsewhere I am all ears. (not interested in any deals from forum members though, thank you)
Food for thought
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...usc=pcmcat241600050001&nrp=100&cp=1&sp=rating
There's a Pioneer VSX-44 there for $270 and a couple of other options

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have to say one thing that takes away from that AVR-X2100W is the remote....really looks cheap compared to the Yamaha's or my current Pioneer. The pricing makes me think the Dennon is the nicer one but I dunno...... How does it compare to the Yamaha 675-677? I am looking up features side by side and not a huge diff... the Dennon has more HDMI..(I like that!), but it has no componant in...(I do not like that). Power seems similar...what I really wish I new more about is their setup menu's, how well they auto calibrate etc (MCACC is what originally sold me on the Pioneer) and ultimately what I want to know is if I were to emerge from my vault in 50 years after a solar storm had ravaged the earth and walk into a old basement, which to my amazement and surprise would I be more likely to note on my Pip-Boy 3000 to still be working? ...the Yamaha, or the Dennon? Help me decide!!! :D

Pioneer's lack of reliability is the main reason I am looking elsewhere if it was still working I was VERY VERY happy with it. If my old 1021k wouldn't have pooped out on me, I wouldn't even be looking.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Whatever fits into your plans best!

·
Premium Member
93,193 Posts
I do have to say one thing that takes away from that AVR-X2100W is the remote....really looks cheap compared to the Yamaha's or my current Pioneer. The pricing makes me think the Dennon is the nicer one but I dunno...... How does it compare to the Yamaha 675-677? I am looking up features side by side and not a huge diff... the Dennon has more HDMI..(I like that!), but it has no componant in...(I do not like that). Power seems similar...what I really wish I new more about is their setup menu's, how well they auto calibrate etc (MCACC is what originally sold me on the Pioneer) and ultimately what I want to know is if I were to emerge from my vault in 50 years after a solar storm had ravaged the earth and walk into a old basement, which to my amazement and surprise would I be more likely to note on my Pip-Boy 3000 to still be working? ...the Yamaha, or the Dennon? Help me decide!!! :D

Pioneer's lack of reliability is the main reason I am looking elsewhere if it was still working I was VERY VERY happy with it. If my old 1021k wouldn't have pooped out on me, I wouldn't even be looking.
In addition to having 8 HDMI inputs and 2 HDMI outputs, the Denon X2100W also has 2 Component Video inputs and 1 Component Video output as noted by the back panel image below. Additionally, with a purchase of the X2100W from AVScience, we are also throwing in a free Denon HEOS Link ($349 MSRP) which can be used to stream audio to an older non-networking AVR or to stream audio from the X2100W to Denon HEOS wireless speakers placed in other rooms in the home. Please call for pricing and additional information as we only have a few left in inventory.

Attachments

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
Cool thread.

My own take: Yamaha's YPAO is similar to Pioneer's MCACC, more or less.

Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is not manually adjustable, but might sound better in the overall bass. ...Because it does automatically EQ the bass down to approximately 10Hz. ...YPAO and MCACC don't go that low.
But your Bic subwoofer is of no concern.

Go Yamaha! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
But your Bic subwoofer is of no concern.
Hey Hey Hey!!!! Go easy! That's my family :p

MY BIC does the job pretty well it has a hollow floor underneath it, and a small room, and rumbles the couch....for it's price range it's still one of the best....for the $160 price I paid it has never failed to impress. I had a $1,000
budget for my original system, and it fit the bill.

I know I know My little system won't impress anyone who is really a forum regular with a 10k system. But I still say that at the time I got this, a vsx-1021k, the SP-FS51-LR 2 SP-BS21-LR, and a SP-C21 with the BIC....was all under $1,000 and impressed so many friends that several all duplicated it. I still say Andrew Jones, somehow created the best bang for the buck speaker package I have ever seen under a grand, and I know a guy who spent twice that and liked the way mine sounded better. They probably do deserve a better sub...

I would love to get a better sub someday but for the room....I really couldn't use much bigger likely anyway.

Back on the AVR....

Thanks for the clearing up of info on the Denon JD.....I'm still torn though.

The more I read the more I am hesitant on Denon...for one it's at the very limit of my budget at the $399 but also looking it up it seems to have a lot of issues, lots of people are talking about it freezing, and one guy had two different ones in different rooms and they both did it. That sounds like an endemic problem. The main reason I was interested in it was the bluetooth, but again I am seeing messages talking about that dropping out and not working very well.....I am just getting over the UE22 code errors post traumatic stress on my Pioneer.....I really want something that just works...ATM I am really comparing the Yamaha 675 and 677 more and more the former just because I can get much better deal and warranty..... any other model similar to them that are just REALLY reliable? Also If I am dead wrong on something by all means correct me, I am a noob to this, and just reading all the forums I can as I may make my choice by the end of the day.

I have my PC plugged directly into my TV as of now, and watched a Netflix show on TV speakers alone....I nearly broke down half way through at the treble master sound, this Horror has to come to and end ASAP!

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
Try Yamaha, I'm sure you're going to like it.

And no disrespect meant about your Bic sub, but I do believe that it won't reach the subterranean frequencies with full aplomb. ...That's a good price you got it for. :cool:

Happy Easter weekend. :) * Your kid looks happy, you too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Try Yamaha, I'm sure you're going to like it.

And no disrespect meant about your Bic sub, but I do believe that it won't reach the subterranean frequencies with full aplomb. ...That's a good price you got it for. :cool:

Happy Easter weekend. :) * Your kid looks happy, you too.
It's okay....the BIC just has esteem issues.... :p I know it won't get to those frequencies...

I am probably going with Yamaha but still want to hear opinions on anything I have not considered... I do worry I will regret missing out on that AVR-X2100w though.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.