AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm a brand new member as you can see, I just really need some guidance, been researching like crazy, but I'm overwhelmed. I'll try to keep this short and sweet.

I play a lot of games on Xbox and ps3 online. I've been on a 26" Samsung 720p LCD since 2008, paid almost a grand out the door back then. I can't take it anymore, I sit so far away I can't even see the HUD, minimap, or even player's names above their heads in multiplayer, but moving up really close is tough-to-impossible with my big ol' recliner.

I don't really watch tv or movies anymore, just gaming. For this reason I'm focusing on plasma.

My room is shaped weird - half kitchen, half living room, long and rectangular but with in-wall closets crating squared-off sections within it. The living room section is pretty small because of that. I'm not sure a 50" will fit well, I mostly don't know because I've never even had a tv that large in our house! I used a tape measure to give a rough idea of length and height, it seems like it'd be huge!

I sit no more than 8-9 feet away. I've read so many people saying "how big is too big?" I'm worried not only about 50" fitting in my room, but about playing games on it from 8 feet away - will I be able to see everything going on? What if I want to move closer at some point? If I'm focused on shooting at someone, will I be able to see my map in the corner? I've always worried that if the screen is too big you won't be able to see everything you need to see going on without scanning your eyes all over the screen. I really don't know, I've never played these systems on anything bigger than 26"!

42" would fit much better in here. They're basically all 720 (what's readily available to buy new in store). I've read extensively about viewing distance, but don't know what to trust. Quoted distances seem crazy to me after playing so far away on such a small screen. Won't know for sure til I put a set in here, really. Your opinions on my particular setup would help greatly in the decision, and recommendations about whether any 720p 42" plasmas available right now are even any good.

My sister and her boyfriend bought a 50" for their living room, he says it's too big and hurts his eyes, I always take that with a grain of salt, but those things worry me. He watches a lot of football and xbox 360, I just do games. If I got a 50", I''d have to invest in a new ent. center to support the weight, increasing my final cost. I think maybe if I get a stand with an attached mounting arm or wall mount it would make the 50" size more manageable.

Ideally I'd like to keep it under $700, [UPDATE: I can do $1000] I know there's one at Costco for about that, a Samsung I think... anyway, if I could get something with great PQ for a lot cheaper, that'd be even better! I always love a bargain. As you can imagine, coming from my setup now anything will be amazing compared to this.

Thoughts on a good size and resolution? Quality/good value models in my price range? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
890 Posts
My vote is for the P50S60 which is in your pref. budget (available through Amazon or BestBuy) and is a Panasonic... Be advised, light controlled room is best for this plasma (and most others too, even with AR filter reflections get through)...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I think 50" is probably the way to go. Is there a few more models you could throw out so I can research the different features? Like I said I think there's a Samsung at Costco for around that price, though I'm sure the consensus is dollar-for-dollar go with Panasonic.

I remember a few years back some people getting up in arms over a software-induced dimming thing Panasonic was doing with their plasmas, did anything ever come of that?

Are there any sets near my price range that still have good performance but do better in a more lighted room? (just in case)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Unopepito06,

If you don't care about 3D, check the clearance section at multiple sears stores in your area. You can usually find good deals there. You don't have to buy it on the spot. They might let you put a deposit down so that they can hold it. Come back to AVS and see if it has a history.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Based on what your needs are in your post, you obviously want a panel for strict gaming and not for watching HD or HD movies, so therefore I would go an LCD route. Even though plasmas are awesome for gaming, some panels are more prone to IR and since all your gonna do is game, going LCD means you will never have to worry about that, although the picture quality will not be as good. A 50" tv would be good at your viewing distance. If you still will only considered plasma than I suggest the Panasonic S60 as well, It is better with input lag I heard for gaming, and the picture is top notch for the price. Or you can check Costco version which is the Panasonic S64 if I'm not mistaken which I think it may be even cheaper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The clearance sounds like a good idea. I was worried about getting an lcd because I find any form of "soap-opera" effect on 120hz+ unbearable, and I figured the motion/action on a plasma for gaming would be much smoother than just a 60hz lcd.

What could be a potential solution for refresh quirkiness on an lcd panel? I game on an lcd now, it's fine I guess... that would be my major concern with a lcd, not the lack of picture quality but the movement. I've tried to understand motion interpolation and refresh rate as much as I can but I guess I still don't get it, and its bearing on playing video games. I'd be down to try an lcd if I could figure that out.

EDIT: I looked around some more the last couple days, I can bump my budget to $1000 if it means a better, more enjoyable television.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts