AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would someone who has the 090 seats please do me a favor? Recline the seat to the maximum recline you'd use when watching a movie, then measure the distance from your ear to the ground. Need to decide between Berkline and Jaymar by late May.

Thanks,

Seth

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like I'm not going to be able to "audition" the Berklines, so the Jaymars will win by default. Found a store in Denver today that had the full line on the floor, and I like the "Capital" the best. I'll post pictures once the theater is completed. Found a photo of the Bijou, which is the Capital without cupholders: http://www.marketware-tech.com/bijoulounger.html. I'll of course be paying much less for mine. Thanks for your help,

Seth

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sbradley02
Looks like I'm not going to be able to "audition" the Berklines, so the Jaymars will win by default. Found a store in Denver today that had the full line on the floor, and I like the "Capital" the best. I'll post pictures once the theater is completed. Found a photo of the Bijou, which is the Capital without cupholders: http://www.marketware-tech.com/bijoulounger.html. I'll of course be paying much less for mine. Thanks for your help,

Seth
I happened to go into a "mega store" at a Denver mall today (had never been there before). They have a custom home theater department, and guess what they had just gotten in a few days ago? Berkline 090s! I tried them out, and felt they had a significant edge of the Jaymars, primarily in the areas of neck/shoulder comfort, and recline action, so I'll be going with the Berklines, and saving close to $1000 to boot.

Seth

P.S. They also had Bass seats, and IMO they are the same as the Jaymars and are probably made by them, so if people are interested in Bass seats, they can probably get them cheaper from a Jaymar dealer.

·
Registered
184 Posts
SBradley...Congrats on solving your HT seat issue. I'm in the same boat you were in, being in the market for Berklines without having tried them. Worse is not finding a discount retailer in my area.

Would you mind PM'ing the dealer you found in Denver? I tried the LeatherDirect retailer Jinho raved about, but he's been completely unresponsive to my calls.

So I'm open to recommendations. Thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by wolfgang armbru
SBradley...Congrats on solving your HT seat issue. I'm in the same boat you were in, being in the market for Berklines without having tried them. Worse is not finding a discount retailer in my area.

Would you mind PM'ing the dealer you found in Denver? I tried the LeatherDirect retailer Jinho raved about, but he's been completely unresponsive to my calls.

So I'm open to recommendations. Thanks!
PM'ing? He (guy in Denver) charges pretty much list, so I doubt if that'd be helpful. My local dealer (Colorado Springs) has a sale on through Memorial Day. I'll get a price quote from them Wednesday. At the same time, I'll ask if they'll ship. Depending on how the quote goes, I may or may not visit Leather Direct tomorrow (I'm in SLC on business, it's a 2 hour drive to Leather Direct). Here's another online dealer: http://www.abigpicture.net/theatreseats.htm . I've talked with him on the phone, and he is very pleasant to deal with. His prices are close to those of Leather Direct. He's sold 100s of these. I'll decide this week where I'm going to get the chairs from.

Seth

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go with John Andrews at abigpicture-- SUPERB customer service and good pricing. Just received six 090's last week, problem is they're so comfortable, I'm having trouble staying awake during the movies!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I agree re: John Andrews (abigpicture). We bought six 090s from him which are due to be delivered in a few weeks. He has a nice DC area setup to try out both the 090s and 099s (I could doze off in either model), plenty of sample fabric/leather swatches, fair pricing and couldn't be easier to deal with. Just one buyer's opinion and I'm not affiliated in any way.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wolfgang armbru
I tried the LeatherDirect retailer Jinho raved about, but he's been completely unresponsive to my calls.
Hmmmm... everytime I've called him I get in touch with him, and I even left emails in the past with a response within 2 hours or so.

PM me with your number and I will definitely forward it to Gregg, and he will get in touch with you immediately...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
For the folks with the 090s, could you answer a question for me? When you slightly recline the chair to a comfortable "movie-viewing" position, does the chair "hold" that point in its range of motion fairly easily, or do you have to use your body a little bit to get it to stay in one position? I would imagine it would not be fun to have to balance yourself for a long period of time to get the chair to hold one position.

MFE, where in Columbia do you live? I'm in Owings Mills but I have a cousin who lives off Tamar Drive.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Good question Scott,

I have been in contact with Berkline concerning that issue...some chairs hold ...others sometimes go back further especially if you have a large upper body..(like me..you know washboard abs the whole shabang)"

Anyway I advise the power recline....as you get a perfect seat everytime...and adds only $103 to the chair...well worth it including the cool

factor...

I also advise it when you have a narrow width between rows....this way you can stop the chair and get a nice comfortable seat but not open up into the row in front of you....

Its really hard to find the perfect chair under $1,000 but I still think the Berklines have excellent value...as well as the JAYMAR..

Seth..do you know which model you sat in for the JAYMAR???

Regards,

JOhn

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have tried most of the Jaymar models. The ones I think are most comparable to the Berklines are the Capital, which are similar to the 090 in looks, and the 261/262 (261 has in-arm cupholders, 262 has pull-out cupholders), which have a more "modern" look. The frames of the two series are identical, and have two hard stops on the non-electric models, at partial and at full recline. There is also the 150 series, which looks a lot like the Berkline 099, but is much firmer, and also offers lumbar support. Personally, I didn't care for it, but those who like Irwins probably would like it. I didn't mind that the Berklines, which I finally got a chance to try out, have a "soft" stop on the recliner. I actually preferred it to a hard stop. I agree that Berkline and Jaymar are the best leather chairs for under $1000.

Seth

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Interesting Seth

Jaymar is coming out with a couple of new models for AUgust production. Look very nice...but have not sat in any...I can say they are built better than the Berklines but I am not confident that they are more comfortable...

However the Jaymars attraction to me is the slightly narrower seat...about 5-6 inches narrower per full seat..this help quite a few people...

REgards,

John

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I personally think the Berkline is more comfortable, which is why I'm going with them, even though I believe Jaymar to be a better value (and also has a better warranty). Comfort is a highly subjective decision though, and I feel each person will need to decide for themselves. Some people for instance swear by the Irwin, and my wife and I think they are very uncomfortable. Unfortunately, places which have more than one brand to try out are very rare.

Seth

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
John,

Thanks for the response. I couldn't quite remember from when I visited you if the Berklines had a hard stop when reclining. It would seem to me that there would have to be a way to tighten the mechanism a little...?

Does the power recline add anything to the dimensions of the chair? That could be an option for some or all of the chairs.

I will say this: I recall the Berklines being very comfortable!

Quote:
others sometimes go back further especially if you have a large upper body..(like me..you know washboard abs the whole shabang)"
we'll start calling you "The Rock" - so ripped, even his earlobes ripple!

MFE, thanks for your PM. You have email.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does anyone know where I can see pictures of those Jaymar seats?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunately, the Jaymar web site is totally lame. These are the only Jaymars I've been able to find online. The Bijou is the Capital w/o cupholders. Note that the price listed is full list, 40% off is common.
http://www.marketware-tech.com/htmar...oulounger.html

This one is the 262, those front panels hinge out to form a cupholder. The 260 has no cupholder, the 261 has an arm-top cupholder:
http://www.marketware-tech.com/htmarket/celloun.html

I believe this one is the 150 series, not sure:
http://www.marketware-tech.com/htmar...allounger.html

This is the one that's most like the Irwin.

Note that Jaymar makes seats for a number of other theater seat companies, who sell them under their name. I believe that's the case with this etailer. You'll get the best price under the Jaymar name.

Here's more pictures of the Bijou and the 262:
http://www.hometheatreinteriors.com/...ory=FURNISHING

As I mentioned before, the Jaymar is a superb chair, probably even better made than the Berkline, and a full leather Jaymar is less expensive than a full leather Berkline (unfortunately, I don't think they offer a leather/vinyl chair). Whether you'd prefer the Berkline or the Jaymar would be a matter of taste. I preferred the Berkline's "feel", otherwise I would definitely be going with Jaymar.

I think abigpicture.com was looking into becoming a Jaymar dealer. What's the scoop, John?

Seth

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.