AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have an ancient Sony receiver and I really need to upgrade.

I was considering one of the H/K AVR line receivers but the price tag on the 645 hurts and it seems I'm surrounded by horror stories everywhere.

I'd like to have something which is under $400 if possible that is the best bang for th ebuck and also as future proof as possible.

7.1 isn't necessary...

Any advice would be appreciated...

This will be used for music and movies

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
HK is a great receiver, excellent sound quality but they do seem to have alot of quality control issues, on the good side though HKs Customer Service is first rate and the do give you a 2 year waranty.

If you're looking for an HDMI receiver check out the Onkyo 604. If HDMI isn't an issue look at the Yamaha RXV-659 or the HT-R5960, both of those yamahas are the same receiver, just a different line and the 5960 doesn't have the zone 2 feature but can usually be found at a much better price.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i just got a denon 2805 on ebay for $300. looks brand new, sounds awesome.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Three solid under $400 choices (no order)

Pio 1016

Yamaha 5960

Onkyo 604

Not sure what upconvert to HDMI gets you in this league, they just put 480p on the HDMI. Component works just as well........unless it's a number of feeds to the TV issue.

Quote:
True but it doesn't have hdmi up conversion eather

Not only that but the OSD is via component, not HDMI = atleast 2 feeds to display.

·
Registered
110 Posts
how much more would he be looking to spend for at least 720p up conversion?

Now just to make sure I understand it correctly, If I had a 1080p upconverting DVD player, (not blueray or HD DVD) playing regular DVDs, and then that plugged into one of these receivers, it will convert it DOWN to 480i/p? Or is there a way to tell it not to process the video, just to pass it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Quote:
Now just to make sure I understand it correctly, If I had a 1080p upconverting DVD player, (not blueray or HD DVD) playing regular DVDs, and then that plugged into one of these receivers, it will convert it DOWN to 480i/p? Or is there a way to tell it not to process the video, just to pass it?

No, it will not downconvert. It simply passes it along. The only conversion some do in this price range it to take 480i sourced stuff coming in & convert it to 480p (pretty much a progressive DVD player type conversion). Not 100% sure what would happen if you used an Oppo player & fed it 480i over HDMI?????

And to reiterate, the Pio doesn't convert to HDMI at all, that's strictly HDMI -> HDMI passthrough.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Quote:
Ok, so phew,

Ah, no worries. In this range really they're ALL doing as little as possible to the signal
Those that do "upconvert" (they don't really) are just doing the minimum to get a signal out over HDMI.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My Denon 2700 is dying/dead so time for a replacement.

My system is a

Sony KDS 50

Panasonic DMR E-85H HDD and DVD burner

Oppo 981

Energy 8 powered subwoofer

Energy fronts

I don't need up-converson, HDMI, 6.1, 7.1,

I found the Oppo is overkill as the Sony does a nice job upconverting the Panasonic.

I don't listen to music through the system.

I want a unit that will deliver a little more oomph than the Denon for TV and DVD viewing.

A Yamaha V659 / 5690 is in my price range but I am wondering if even this is more than I need.

How does a Yamaha 5940 stack up for a minimalist solution?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.