AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

ok ive recently have gotten serious about upgrading my home theatre system. ihave a onkyo 818 bic venturi64 tower speakers polk cs 20 center speaker and onkyo hitb surround speakers 7.2 setup..the first major upgrade i did was swap polk sub for dual pb2000s and i love it. now i want to timbre match my front soundstage with better speakers. my question is since i have the subs and run the crossovers on the bics at 80 eliminating the subs on the towers should i be looking at book shelf mains? the reason i ask is because i see alot of pics of home thetare setups and most run tower speakers with multiple sub setups. i understand the benefit of getting towers in a 2 or 3.1 setup but all i use my setup for is movie watching. so what difference does the tower speakers ahve over a bookshelf setup. ive been looking at focals bookshelves and center speaker. any help in deciding what i could get would be appreciated. budget for bookshelves and center timbre matching ideally would be 1500 but could stretch to 2000 if necessary.

i just want to get the clearest high end sound i could get for the money. bics and polk are fine but now that i invested money in dual subs i want the highs to match thanks

·
Banned
431 Posts
Towers have an advantage in three situations.

1. You are not using a sub. Towers tend to have lower bass and without a sub that is often needed.

2. You like to play loud! Make a speaker in a bigger box with multiple woofers and it is going to play louder than a bookshelf with one woofer and a smaller box.

3. Aesthetics - this is personal preference but many like the look of towers over bookshelf speakers on stands.

If you do not need any of the above three you can usually get better sounding bookshelf speakers for the same price as towers.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlnb  /t/1521675/need-best-route-possible-bookshelf-vs-floorstanding-speakers#post_24458681

Towers have an advantage in three situations.

1. You are not using a sub. Towers tend to have lower bass and without a sub that is often needed.

2. You like to play loud! Make a speaker in a bigger box with multiple woofers and it is going to play louder than a bookshelf with one woofer and a smaller box.

3. Aesthetics - this is personal preference but many like the look of towers over bookshelf speakers on stands.

If you do not need any of the above three you can usually get better sounding bookshelf speakers for the same price as towers.
Two out of three ain't bad.

A speaker in a bigger box with multiple woofers will play louder than a bookshelf with one woofer in a smaller box if there are no subs in the equation. If there are subs the bigger box, which is only beneficial in extending bass response, is just so much wasted space, and cash. If you have subs and you want the mains to go louder then more and larger drivers is one way to do it, but do so with a dual woofer bookshelf, so that the additional output gained is in the frequency band where you need it, not in the lows where you don't.
Quote:
the reason i ask is because i see alot of pics of home thetare setups and most run tower speakers with multiple sub setups
'Because everyone does it that way' isn't a reason to follow suit. If you ask them why they have that arrangement nine out of ten will say "because i see alot of pics of home thetare setups and most run tower speakers with multiple sub setups".

Put your money into higher quality bookshelves.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Each speaker type has pros and cons. I use floorstanders and standmounts

There is no "one is better than other" each has pros and cons, but generally you need to spend more on floorstanders for the same quality you would find in a standmount.

In a larger room, floorstanders are a better option for 2 channel Hi-Fi, and/or with no subwoofer. In a smaller room, go for standmounts.

However in a larger room standmounts would work too, ie M&K S-150 are classed as standmounts.

Tower speakers mean they can player a wider frequency response, you may prefer a setting for crossover for L/R + sub lower than 80hz, or perhaps running main speakers full-range (for music this is fine) with subwoofer off, ie 2 channe pure mode.

However speakers that don't have quality construction could mean sound quality is a bit muddled as bass units interact with the baffle and cabinet.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
For that budget there is no question in my mind as to what would sound the best; the PSB Image T6 tower speakers and a Image C4 center speaker.

Total cost around $1700.

The Absolute Sound and Stereophile both rated the T6 the best in its class and also used them for "Recommended Systems" articles.

I had them for 2 years before going to Vandersteen Treos, and they can't be beat IMO for under $2000.

They will play as loud as you want for home theater use and still sound great for any kind of music listening, from intimate music to a full orchestra to rock.

You can save about 20% on the price by going to Saturday Audio. They are a PSB outlet for speakers with very minor cosmetic defects; new speakers with full warranty.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloneranger  /t/1521675/need-best-route-possible-bookshelf-vs-floorstanding-speakers#post_24458344

any help in deciding what i could get would be appreciated. budget for bookshelves and center timbre matching ideally would be 1500 but could stretch to 2000 if necessary.

i just want to get the clearest high end sound i could get for the money. bics and polk are fine but now that i invested money in dual subs i want the highs to match thanks

You don't need to spend more than $1500 to get a significant upgrade over the bic venturi64 and could even replace your whole setup for around $1500 and have a fantastic upgrade in clarity. For example, I'll recommend the CMT-340 SE MINI-TOWER and matching center , which bring you in significantly under your budget allowing you to finish out your setup with either their HTM 200 SEs or CBM-170 SEs as surrounds.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

thank you guys for your help. i know it shouldnt be hard to get better upgrades over bic. i personally also like the looks of tower speakers in my setup versus bookshelves on stands. i guess the search will continue ill check out the options posted here thanks

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloneranger  /t/1521675/need-best-route-possible-bookshelf-vs-floorstanding-speakers#post_24459387

thank you guys for your help. i know it shouldnt be hard to get better upgrades over bic. i personally also like the looks of tower speakers in my setup versus bookshelves on stands. i guess the search will continue ill check out the options posted here thanks

In that case, look into Paradigm, Focal Chorus, Kef, the PSB previously mentioned, and B&W. Best thing to do is go listen to speakers at local hifi shops in your area.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

i do like what im reading about ascend acoustics the speaker stands that go with cmt340 look awesome.will keep u updated on what i go with plus review

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloneranger  /t/1521675/need-best-route-possible-bookshelf-vs-floorstanding-speakers#post_24459400

i do like what im reading about ascend acoustics the speaker stands that go with cmt340 look awesome.will keep u updated on what i go with plus review

I have the smaller CBM-170 SEs, and I find them comparable in class to $500/$600 MSRP bookshelves at BestBuy, etc. Ascend is just as respected an Internet direct brand for speakers as SVS is for subs.

A few things about the 340s. You would have three of the exact same speaker in your front soundstage, only one of them with an adjustment for horizontal placement. This is a better timbre match than you are likely to get with full towers and a dedicated center. They are also designed with the idea that you will using subs with them, as opposed to towers which are often using one driver to dig much deeper. Finally, gotta love the idea of having six idential 6.5" drivers all aimed at you from the front soundstage providing your mids and upper midbass

See this AVS user review: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1478626/ascend-acoustic-5-1-setup-review .

Reactions: GIEGAR

·
Registered
3,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1521675/need-best-route-possible-bookshelf-vs-floorstanding-speakers#post_24459448

... about the 340s. You would have three of the exact same speaker in your front soundstage, only one of them with an adjustment for horizontal placement. This is a better timbre match than you are likely to get with full towers and a dedicated center. ...

+1

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

agreed old sport! ordering the combo next friday. ive been busy doing alot of research today on ascend. trying to see if i would go with sierra 1 or ascend 340s. decided with ascend 340s with center plus 4 of the 170s i believe for surrounds and r/surrounds.total price about 1600. not bad i belive

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloneranger  /t/1521675/need-best-route-possible-bookshelf-vs-floorstanding-speakers#post_24461779

agreed old sport! ordering the combo next friday. ive been busy doing alot of research today on ascend. trying to see if i would go with sierra 1 or ascend 340s. decided with ascend 340s with center plus 4 of the 170s i believe for surrounds and r/surrounds.total price about 1600. not bad i belive

That will be an amazing wall of sound around you, especially with dual PB-2000s pumping out the bass

1 - 13 of 13 Posts