AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If my mini BOSS platform is about 7 feet x 4 feet & weigh 600 (to 1000 LBS fully loaded with 3 adults).
(Power reclining 3seat sofa)

Will 8 isolators be enough ? or should I plan on more ?

Also a complication is that because my 2 outside seats recline and the middle seat does not : on reclining seats, I can get half a speaker under the seat, at the back.
In middle seat, the speaker has to be fully inside or outside the seat and not half way.

I need to use a partial cantilevered BOSS at least for the 2 reclining seats .

I have also given my guess as to the 8 iso placements , and any extra ISO’s in red. Let me know if the isolators should be in different positions ? Or if I am good with their placement?

Of these 5 possible arrangements with 3 or 4 speakers, what would work best ??

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
These two threads are dedicated to BOSS and Tactile Response.

Reactions: asarose247 and m0j0

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have a hover boss and I tried the iso's but on carpet did not work well. A cheaper option that works really well are tennis balls never had any problems with them. Inner tube work well some use the fat ones I went to WalMart bought some of the ones made by Good Year doubled them up and put very little air pressure 2-3lbs ?? I also used some saranwrap and tape to seal off subs. I have zero complaints!! Does not do anything sound wise but it takes movie watching to a new level!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a hover boss and I tried the iso's but on carpet did not work well. A cheaper option that works really well are tennis balls never had any problems with them. Inner tube work well some use the fat ones I went to WalMart bought some of the ones made by Good Year doubled them up and put very little air pressure 2-3lbs ?? I also used some saranwrap and tape to seal off subs. I have zero complaints!! Does not do anything sound wise but it takes movie watching to a new level!!
Thanks for the reply !

How big is your mini Boss platform ? And how many drivers do you have ?
How many tennis balls did you use under it ?

what was the difference in using tubes compared to not using them ? hover boss vs. Regular mini Boss

How much of an improvement percentage wise, does it make, going to hover over regular miniBoss?

What is reason to double up the tubes rather than single layer ? Was it because the tennis balls made mini boss platform taller than the ISO’s ?

Would the ISO’s work better on carpet with a small 3” square piece of plywood under each ISO’s ? Or would the tennis balls still be better than that ?

ISO’s have glue , but how did you attach the tennis balls to the mini platform?

Can you please explain in more detail , as to what you did with Saran Wrap , as I am not sure I understand ? And reason for doing it ?

I am trying to figure out if I want to do regular mini boss platform or if I should do the extra work and go straight to the hover Boss mini platform .

Also about how often do you need to put air into the tubes ?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Did you check the links I posted for you?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you check the links I posted for you?
Yes thanks 🙏!

I have started to slowly read those long topics and there are so many side branches (started to watch the mini DSP videos linked in one of those posts ) and looking into what the mini DSP vs the mini DSP HD etc , never knew about this item till this past week .

but is interesting how different people have come up with various ideas and I had not read about tennis balls being used in a Boss platform till the reply above , or double stacked tubes etc

just trying to assimilate and understand as much as I can to make a decision on how to do the BOSS as want to do it just once and learn from others experience and not make rookie mistakes if it can be avoided .

·
Registered
829 Posts
I cannot give tech. spec's on before and after but seat of the pants yes. I have 4 Infinity 1262's under sofa and 2 JBL CS1214 under love seat. I am using Inuke 6000 for the sofa and Inuke 3000 for the loveseat. the 6000 at 4ohms per channel the 3000 8ohms bridged. You can make it simple or complex I chose easy less money and cost ( already had the amps ) I used 3/4 plywood cut to fit under sofa and loveseat used a jig saw for cutting the holes for the 12's also made sure before getting to far along would not have any problems with drvr magnets in the furniture. Figured the black cloth was replaceable and cheap so it has holes for the subs painted platform black and have the furniture on top of platform whatever the height of the furniture legs 4" ?? I did buy some ISO's at first but with carpet platform to low to the ground then I did some reading another person used tennis balls decided to try they are cheap!! Used them and they work great. Started reading about hoverboss another cheap add-on. I first used 1 inner tube per sub not bad but more reading 2 is even better. You do not need a lot of air pressure I would guess 2-3lbs and used doublesided tape on some duct tape on others no reason what I had. I also read sealing works even better so got some saran wrap taped it to tubes sort of sealing?? not exactly pretty but never see it. As far as placement the inner tubes keep face of subs off of carpet and I use the tennis balls approx 2' apart give or take. This is really stupid easy and fairly cheap I have tried nearfield before and it really did not have impact I wanted. This on the other hand WOW you feel like your part of the movie on some movies " Midway " for example I can get furniture really moving its nuts I like it. Like Johnson has suggested do some reading instead of reading it all figure out what your looking for and do a search not hard

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cannot give tech. spec's on before and after but seat of the pants yes. I have 4 Infinity 1262's under sofa and 2 JBL CS1214 under love seat. I am using Inuke 6000 for the sofa and Inuke 3000 for the loveseat. the 6000 at 4ohms per channel the 3000 8ohms bridged. You can make it simple or complex I chose easy less money and cost ( already had the amps ) I used 3/4 plywood cut to fit under sofa and loveseat used a jig saw for cutting the holes for the 12's also made sure before getting to far along would not have any problems with drvr magnets in the furniture. Figured the black cloth was replaceable and cheap so it has holes for the subs painted platform black and have the furniture on top of platform whatever the height of the furniture legs 4" ?? I did buy some ISO's at first but with carpet platform to low to the ground then I did some reading another person used tennis balls decided to try they are cheap!! Used them and they work great. Started reading about hoverboss another cheap add-on. I first used 1 inner tube per sub not bad but more reading 2 is even better. You do not need a lot of air pressure I would guess 2-3lbs and used doublesided tape on some duct tape on others no reason what I had. I also read sealing works even better so got some saran wrap taped it to tubes sort of sealing?? not exactly pretty but never see it. As far as placement the inner tubes keep face of subs off of carpet and I use the tennis balls approx 2' apart give or take. This is really stupid easy and fairly cheap I have tried nearfield before and it really did not have impact I wanted. This on the other hand WOW you feel like your part of the movie on some movies " Midway " for example I can get furniture really moving its nuts I like it. Like Johnson has suggested do some reading instead of reading it all figure out what your looking for and do a search not hard
Thanks that was very helpful !

How are the tennis balls attached to the mini riser ?

I read in the BOSS thread that the UNPRESSURIZED tennis balls work better ? Is that what you used ?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Do not make this hard?? I went on amazon bought a bag for 15.00 then placed them under platform the weight of the sofa platform etc the balls will not move

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well a small update , I now have the bag of tennis 🎾 balls and 4 of the JBL 12 inch drivers !

A great fellow local AVS’r, Found me a supplier for 1” thick Baltic Birch plywood , so probably will not need to worry about stiffness now.

Was planning to run a thin strip along the top front edge of platform to keep recliner from vibrating forward. And probably some short strips along the back corners to keep recliner from creeping backwards into the JBL drivers.

Here is a crude drawing of my future BOSS platform and of the driver cutouts in relation to my 3 seat recliner sofa. I can get one driver under the non reclining seat .

·
Registered
829 Posts
You can make this easy or hard I did mine the easy way. I piece of 3/4" plywood cut to fit under sofa then another to fit under loveseat cut opening for the subs painted board black installed drvrs wired up and done. Only thing I added was a small piece of carpet under the legs of the furniture and that is it. Have a nu3000 for the 2 JBL's and a nu 6000 for the 4 Infinitys under sofa to date nothing has slid off the platform.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts