AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've seen this in the past. People find there way to AVS and instead of spending a couple of weeks to a couple of months doing hard research, asking questions of particular products, etc., they simply get overwhelmed and ask someone else to chose the products for them.

While this is fine for a HT Shop person, custom installer, etc., asking your fellow Joe 6-Pack to making your buying decisions is inappropriate. I mean, how many of you ask others which house or car to buy? Part of being an adult and learning to be an adult is making decisions for yourself and learning from any mistakes therein.

While I'll always try to give credit to the Smoking Joe in B&M HT Shop #5, its always with a lot of reservations followed up with serious research. Not everyone on the anonymous forums are Joe Kane, Sam, Runco, or even QQQ!

So please, DO SOME SERIOUS RESEARCH!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
We spent 2 years tracking down the various LT150s and LCDs that were STRONGLY recommended around here at the time. My wife almost printed out her comment "not in MY house" as we got more and more dissapointed. Only the JVC DILA seemed to offer a real high quality image and that required an external processor that took the already high cost up even further.

We were stunned at the advance with the new HD1 DLPs with the built in Faroudja processing in January 2002 and knew instantly that we had found our new best friend. IMO the introduction of the Firehawk screen elevated several projectors that had previously been rejected into the possible range, Seleco 200 for instance. It seems that the 3 developments just combined into a "perfect storm". Still waiting for a similar jump in overall performance.

But since then I have found that the advice of QQQ who owns B&M HT Shop #9 to be infallable. It's comforting to now know that I won't have to actually waste my time auditioning my next upgrade. :D

·
Registered
971 Posts
I don't know whether it's right or wrong, but I get kind of irritated at people who obviously have done no reading and then come in and ask what the 'best' projector is. Therefore I endeavor to not be one of those people.

RG

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Guynn
I don't know whether it's right or wrong, but I get kind of irritated at people who obviously have done no reading and then come in and ask what the 'best' projector is. Therefore I endeavor to not be one of those people.

RG
Actually I get irritated at those who even think that there is one BEST projector or even a best for the money. Some don't even seem to realize that their choices of source material, viewing environment, desire to calibrate/tweak and willingness to percieve/tolerate specific shortcomings can make substantial impact on which is best for their situation. A few days reading over recent threads on AVS or even Projector People etc. should be mandatory before even thinking of posting.

How many times have we seen someone focus into the newer DLPs without even seeing if they were sensitive to rainbows; or even scared that their family MIGHT see them but "draw the line" at subjecting their family to a short audition to see if they are in fact sensitive.

Too many are used to a consumer report rating where a 9.35 trumps a 9.17. :D

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
I saw as many HD2 DLP projectors that I could locate. I saw five of the major players, and I saw them several times.

I combined this with my research here before making my purchase. This took about 5 or 6 months.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't mind people soliciting opinion, but buying advice? That's like asking which kid to keep and which kid to get rid of, hehe.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I started researching FPs over a year ago and still haven't pulled the trigger on one (not because I'm waiting for something better, but because I haven't moved and built the HT yet!).

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
A year or so, when I first looked in the -$5k, the hot topic was the LT150 as a bang for the buck which had the preferred XGA resolution over the SVGA.

Then, for bulb life and less noise I started getting lost.

AE100 - 5,000hr plus the checker board square

Sim2 HT200 - 6,000hr lighter checker board

Sharp Z90 - .55 bright/great contrast SVGA

Sharp Z9000 - Dim - small pixels, X black detail

NEC HT1000 - Lots of good stuff!

Good chioces became easy with the new .55 DMD. There was a big step up with the Z90 but resolution was a little low. Yes you could sit two times back ok but I figured the HT1000 with it's XGA and .55 plus low price would work for me. It has.

I guess I did some low priced hands on research to start.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I want to know how many of those that found the AVS forum and posted immediate and as such are too chicken to admit their immediate cries for help by voting appropriately.

Don't make me come hunt you down and force-vote.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
WanMan: 16 votes into the poll, and you're already suggesting some bias in the poll results? You wouldn't happen to be from Florida, would you? :D

·
Registered
986 Posts
mine was a easy choice, i have buisness units that i use for presentations, over the years i have used them more and more at home. I have been using a Lt240 for the last year.

Now i am going all out and finishing a dedicated theater in my basement, i am spending more time on the pj, but the audio is about rapped up.

I think you really have to test a product, and for more than 10 minutes. The only complaint i have with my NEC LT240 is that i get headachs from watching it. I am not sure what the difference is, but i just watched both of the LODR movies back to back on a Marantz and did not get a headache.

·
Registered
393 Posts
NICE POLL, WANMAN....I will say it definitely pays to do research and the AVS forum has been a tremendous help for me personally but in the end it was seeing and comparing backed up by the experiences of others that helped me make my decisions.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
AVS Rocks!

But then again we all knew that... :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'd say I did several months of reading research before doing any posting and then made my mind up about the projector I was goign to get about three times. Each time racheting up the cost, cause I'm already spending $x000 and for only $750 more .....

Given my room with minimal light control (mainly relying on night) I wound up with the 20HD and have been extremely pleased with it. I even got my wife to suggest (without prompting) getting black velvet for masking the screen since the fabric we have just isn't good enough.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been researching for several years (although not very intensly until the last couple of months), and I just bought a HT1000. I have to say that I don't like soliciting people's opinions on what might be a good projector for me, but when you live in the middle of nowhere and can't audition projectors, you don't have much alternative. I bought the HT1000, without having ever seen one, based on all the positive comments on this forum. I wish I could have seen one before I bought, but I wasn't going to travel 1000 miles to see a projector. That's just silly. (although I did drive 1500 miles to buy a car, but that cost alot more).

phil

·
Registered
860 Posts
I guess I will represent the other side--I have no problem relying on peoples opinions from this forum on which pj to buy. I did spend a few weeks figuring out what pj would work best in my room and asked a few questions in these forums. In the end I bought the HS10 sight unseen based mostly on the shoot-outs held by forum members and my viewing needs.

I have to admit I don't understand what makes someone take a year or two to decide what pj to buy. When I go to upgrade (possibly the HS20 or a more high end model), I will have no problem asking certain forum members their opinion. Based on forum reviews I would have no problem buying an HT1000, Virtuoso, Sharp 10000 etc. sight unseen knowing I will be getting a very good pj.

I guess to me these are just items to enrich my life and I am way too impatient to take a year plus to do that :). I have spent way more on cars and couldn't imagine taking a year or two to pick one of those out either...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.