AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and thank you for your responses in advance!

I love movies and primarily want a system for the best movie experience. I also listen to music on my system and play the occasional video game.

I currently have a Onkyo TX-NR809 with Pioneer S-T500 towers for my fronts, a Bic America F12 Sub and the remaining center and rear speakers from my Energy Take Classic system. The Pioneer speakers are a recent addition and now my center channel sounds way under performed compared to the new speakers.

I've read that people recommend getting the same brand center as the front speakers but also read that getting a high quality center from other brands is better as well. What does everyone recommend for my center and additionally i'm open to hearing opinions for replacing my rear speakers as well.

Thanks everyone!

Daniel

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question well I would like to spend a couple hundred if possible. Pretty much whatever would be the best for something in the range of $500-$200.

Geez only $25! So you would recommend those over my energy takes then?

Daniel

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
Good question well I would like to spend a couple hundred if possible. Pretty much whatever would be the best for something in the range of $500-$200.

Geez only $25! So you would recommend those over my energy takes then?

Daniel
Yes I would recommend the New Wave over the baby Take speakers - the New Wave is a buyout product,
and then they put a sale on top of that. I also have a pair coming to me - they have strong boxes and a
a real crossover in them - not a cheapy high pass filter.

With the Pioneer speakers - I would get something like this Mordaunt Short center channel - discontinued
and also a good price
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...rdaunt-short-aviano-5-5-center-speaker/1.html

Like I said, not the end of the world to have a different center with your Pioneer - I have used some different centers
with all the speakers I have owned. There is no real center for your towers - and the Mordaunt Short would be a big
step up from what you have now.

Your call

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow thanks man I really appreciate it. Seems like I can spend about $300 and upgrade my system pretty nicely. Thank you for taking the time.

Daniel

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great thank you! I keep seeing the Polk TSi CS10 as a top rated model, what do you think of that one? Also the Infinity Primus PC351 and the Klipsch Reference RC-62 II or RC-52. Any experience or suggestions with any of those models or would you still go with your original suggestion?

Thanks,

Daniel

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
Great thank you! I keep seeing the Polk TSi CS10 as a top rated model, what do you think of that one? Also the Infinity Primus PC351 and the Klipsch Reference RC-62 II or RC-52. Any experience or suggestions with any of those models or would you still go with your original suggestion?
My preference would be Mordaunt Short, Wharfedale or Infinity.

Not a big fan of Polk - and I would use a horn speaker if the front speakers were horn-loaded.
I would go with dome tweeters, since the Pioneer fronts use a dome tweeter.

·
Registered
24,238 Posts
I'd recommend the Ascend 340 center speaker --- I used to own this one and always loved its incredibly clarity, realism, and wide soundstage with voices. Especially impressive given the cavernous space I had at the time. And wonderfully easy load to drive.

If I had the space I'd buy another one for my current setup in a heartbeat, since I mostly watch dialogue-dominant video content rather than action flicks with all the surround effects and LFE. The center is truly the workhorse of HT...if you're not big into action movies I'd argue that it's even more important than the subwoofer.

Generally, any large horizontal MTM design would be great, you just want maximum detail and output.

Another option would be the Hsu HC-1 center channel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts