AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have no clue what repeating is and switching is. What is the difference? Also what if repeating is 1.3 and switching is 1.1? Man I need to get a clear answer on this so I can sleep tonight...PLEASE!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Repeating means that the receiver will strip audio from the HDMI input, switching means that the receiver only acts as a switch and does nothing with the HDMI signal.

If you see 1.3 repeating/1.1 switching, it means that the receiver can strip the latest audio from the HDMI signal, but it does not have the 1.3 features on the video switching portion (Deep color and auto lip sync).

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
That seems right. I saw a receiver listed that way, very confusing. The manufacturers do a s****y job of clarifying their HDMI capabilities.

I wonder if the people making the web entries or product listings even understand what they are posting.

Technically, an HDMI repeater is an intermediate such as an AVR. So I find their terminology sloppy. Or I misunderstand that use of the term repeater.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah crap I reversed it... 1.3 switching and 1.1 repeating....So that means the Marantz sr4002 will not do any of the new HD-DVD/Blu-ray codecs correct?

·
Registered
12,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/12870325

That seems right. I saw a receiver listed that way, very confusing. The manufacturers do a s****y job of clarifying their HDMI capabilities.

I wonder if the people making the web entries or product listings even understand what they are posting.

Technically, an HDMI repeater is an intermediate such as an AVR. So I find their terminology sloppy. Or I misunderstand that use of the term repeater.

A couple of clarifications..

The repeater is found on middle to higher range AVRs, typically $399 and higher.. And it can strip out either audio and/or video, as the video may be deinter-laced or upscaled..

The switch is found in entry-level AVRs, typically $299 or less.

The other issue is that certain brands such as Denon call all their AVRs HDMI 1.3... rolleyes:

Evn though some only have switching, some of have a repeater but no HD audio codecs and some have HD audio codecs.. It seems that as long as the video can pass through @ HDMI 1.3 specifications (400 mHz) they chose to call the entire AVRs HDMI 1.3..

Maybe thats why the Denon returns have jumped 65% in the last year..

User gets it home and finds out that is doesn't have the expected features or capability..

·
Registered
144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg /forum/post/12870283

Repeating means that the receiver will strip audio from the HDMI input, switching means that the receiver only acts as a switch and does nothing with the HDMI signal.

If you see 1.3 repeating/1.1 switching, it means that the receiver can strip the latest audio from the HDMI signal, but it does not have the 1.3 features on the video switching portion (Deep color and auto lip sync).

If that means it does nothing to the HDMI signal, if you outputted a hdmi 1.3 signal would it simply pass it on?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse /forum/post/12870329

Ah crap I reversed it... 1.3 switching and 1.1 repeating....So that means the Marantz sr4002 will not do any of the new HD-DVD/Blu-ray codecs correct?

Correct the 4002 doesn't have HD Decoders built in the receiver. It will however accept HD audio as multi channel pcm over HDMI from a player such as the PS3 that decodes the audio before sending it to the receiver.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Clipse, you should post this question on the AV distribution forum thread. They are doing this more then anyone in this forum.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/12870325

The manufacturers do a s****y job of clarifying their HDMI capabilities.

It appears that as long as the AVR has HDMI "plugs" its sold an HDMI AVR regardless of what it is passing via the HDMI.

I recently bought a Sony DG520 (bottom of the line) - 2 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out - perfect for my needs. After pulling out the old receiver and re-wiring w/ HDMI. ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT IT DID NOT TRANSPORT AUDIO. Yep, I needed to "add cables" to my HDMI AVR!

Needless to say, I yanked it out, re-boxed and returned. Bumped up in their new model line (DG820) and I'm now just wired up w/ HDMI cables.

The whole point of HDMI is 1 cable carries all and the manny's should be brought to task on this. AVRs need labelling - A & V HDMI, V HDMI because this is BS.

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
It means what goes in comes out..

However to handle HDMI 1.3 it needs to have the wide bandwidth..

Many HDMI switches do not..

Just my $0.02..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts