AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a clue on connecting samsung SIR-T351 stb to a replaytv. I use it to get HDTV, and display it over composite video on and ordinary SD tv. The programs are all identified correctly ( channel 5 HDTV is the same as channel 5 analog SD). The reason why I bother is the digital signal is so much better and noise free than the analog one

I'd like it to connect it and use it as the main input on my replay. I know that I can define OTA antenna for my local reception, and the schedule will be OK ( excpet for the PBS multi cast, but I can live without that for now). I also understand that some have had success on getting the samsung stb to respond to the IR commands. What I'll do is connect the composite video out from the samsung stb to the composite video in on the Replay. I'll also let the reply know that it is local OTA signal source

My question is, when designating OTA as the video source, how do I let the replaytv know that it is a smasung stb, so it sends out the proper instruction on the IR cable.

TIA

--G

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Welll... the topic is fading fast

Let me restate. As near as I can make out folks with Directv and OTA HDTV can use the replay to control the the OTA HDTV . In this case it is a samsung sir T160. ( Not the sir t351 that I use, but I'll hope for the best and assume the IR command sequence is the same on all samsung STBs)

Can anyone with this configuration comment on how you identify local channels. I figure I can tell the replay I have a directtv, with local channels, and then obliterate all the satellite channels in the guide

·
Registered
744 Posts
I also use a Samsung HiDef STB (SIR-t165) with my Replay. If your digital local channels (in PSIP format) correspond to the analog ones (e.g. 2-1 (NBC digital) = 2 (NBC analog)), then you are in luck. Try the following:

Connect the Sammy to an available input (use s-video in on input 2 for the best picture). Now tell the Replay that you have a DirecTV receiver connected to that input..there should be some IR blaster codes for a Samsung DTV receiver that will work. You might have to tweek the setting by hitting [ZONES] on the IR blaster code screen (I had to set mine to send a minimum of 2 digits for reliable channel changing).

After setup is complete, go to ADD/REMOVE channels and remove all of the channels from the new DirecTV lineup except the local ones. You should be good to go for all digital channels broadcast on the first subchannel that correlate to the same analog channel number.

Added bonus: Programs broadcast in 16:9 widescreen format will be recorded by the Replay in their true 16:9 aspect ratio.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm having a huge problem in this regard.

My samsung ts160 maps the D* local channels as same digits as my OTA locals; i.e. I have three channel 2's (one from D*, one analog OTA, and the DTV OTA subchannel 2-1).

The problem is, when the replay shoots a '2' over the IR blaster, the ts160 always pulls up the D* channel 2.

Since I don't get my locals from them (why would I when I get them OTA?), the 160 spits out a 721 message.

How can I fix this?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I don't believe there is a fix -- at least not one that I know of. As a work around, I just setup a manual record timer on my Replay (that just looks at input 2 but doesn't tune anything) and then setup a tune-to timer on my TS160.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.