AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. I am a noob here and am building my home theater setup. I know that speaker recommendations are all subjective but what I am looking for is compact, small speakers to add to my current setup. I currently have a Pioneer SC-05 receiver with just a Polk surround bar with a Definitived sub. I have looked at the Orb Audio speakers but have not heard them. I like the size of the Bose speakers but I don't want a Bose system obviously.

Any input or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Orbs have awful midbass response (basically none at all), dropping off from about 200hz (see the graph here ), with the -3db at 170hz. That's not quite Bose territory, but a bit too close..

Something like this is a much better idea.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxracer182 /forum/post/16935197

How do all of these compare to the Orb Audio speakers? I have not heard any of these but I don't want to regret any option because it was a few $$$ cheaper. Thanks again...

Check the specs at the links, but the CSW MC155 goes down to 100Hz with a sensitivity of 89db. The TSC TSAT1000 goes down to 125Hz with a sensitivity of 85db (requires more power than the MC155).

If you want smaller, check
http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...=53CW0030AA001

The MC105 speakers used in this set are spec'd down to 100Hz and a sensitivity of 86db. I'm sure even these are better than the Orb.

·
Registered
29,106 Posts

Quote:
Is there a big difference between the mini's and the micros?

I bet there is a pretty significant difference between the two. The micro sats only go down to 150hz which means the subwoofer has to do a lot of work to compensate for the lack of low frequency in the sats. Those micros only have a 2.5" driver.

I'd get the RC minis w/o a second thought about the micros.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any thoughts on the Mirage Nanosat speakers? With doing the compact size speakers like this, would it be recommended to get a center channel speaker to go along with any compact speaker setup?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
how much do you want to spend?

how important is sound quality vs. being small?

look at the nht absolute zero, mirage os3, and energy rc-mini if sound quality is more important than being tiny

if tiny matters more, the orbs, mirage nanosat, rc-micro, energy take

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would like to stay under $1500 if possible. I would prefer a good sound over super small in size. I don't want to use stands but possibly wall mount everything. I like the idea of the in wall for the rears but I am in a rental so not really an option. Will I get much better sound out of towers for the fronts? Also, will I get better results if I run a dedicated center channel? Thanks again... So many options and choices, hahaha.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Take a very serious look at these.
http://emotiva.com/erm1.shtm

Great build quality and sound for the money. Search for reviews on www.audioreview.com and the www.emotiva.com websites. They're on closeout now for $149/ea. I have many high-end speakers and these are comparable to many I have and heard. Emotiva is rapidly becoming the site for high-end audio on a budget. I purchased an XPA-5 5ch amp from them as well. It boasts 200W (8ohm) and 350W (4ohm), has balanced/unbalanced inputs, 1.2KVA transformer and 60,000mfd in storage caps. Build quality is also first rate and at a cost of only $799. They also have deals on high-end CD and AV pre/processor.

I have no association with the company, just passing on a great deal when I see one. Check them out.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Take a look at the Klipsch Cinema 6 and Cinema 8 systems. Cinema 8 in particular doesn't have the typical hole in the middle that most small sat/sub systems have plus it actually has dynamics and can rock without embarassing itself. Swap out the sub for something a bit more beefy and you have a killer package.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.