Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I need some help designing a home theater. I recently purchased a home. The home has a basement which is partially finished. There is about 22'x20' already finished which is where I will need to put my theater. I want to have a front projector system. The problem is that the stairs go down and open up the space on the left side. There is an air duct which has been plastered and hangs down about 1 foot. It cuts into the corner of an egress which would have been a decent spot for the screen. The obvious part where I was thinking about putting it was on the left side of the stairs which is about 11' wide and 22' deep.

Anyway, I have never had a home theater and I was wondering if I could get help in deciding where to put everything (components, screen, projector (Panasonic AE700U), DVD collection (350), speakers, etc.) Also, if there is a preferred color to paint the room. Also, there are two small basement windows which I would need to figure out something to do so they are covered temporarily while using the system. I have seen a lot of great theater designs on this site and look forward to all the creative input.

Thanks,

ekaplan1020

·
Registered
726 Posts
How wide are the stairs and closet on the right side from the far right side of the wall? How high is the ceiling (air vent not included)? How much noise (if any) does that air vent make? Finally, how wide is that air duct?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stairs and closet take up 10' of the room.

I believe the ceiling is between 7' and 8'.

As for the noise, I don't believe it is very loud. I haven't moved in yet, but when we were looking at it, it wasn't making any noticeable noises. The vent runs the whole 22' length of the room, it is about 2' wide, and hangs down 1'.

Sorry I am not able to be exact. I was only able to get rough dimensions.

Thanks,

ekaplan1020

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here are two more elevation plans to help visualize the space...

in the south elevation, the stairs are omitted but come out from the right side

·
Registered
726 Posts
Not an ideal room for an HT, but where there's a will...

What is the distance from the stairs/closet to the East wall?

Having flipped it around every conceivable way, I think your best option would be to have your screen (it would have to be a pull down version) on the wall that the windows are on. Use some black out material to cover those windows. Center your screen between the East wall and an imaginary wall on the West side of the room that starts at the front of your closet/stairs (creating a rectangle). This would leave a walkway from your stairs to the laundry door available. It would also leave space in the SW corner of the room for a bar or card table area between those coves if you wanted something like that. Use those coves (install some shelving of some sort) for your DVD storage and use the closet by the stairs for your equipment or put the equipment on the North wall. The Panny PJ could be shelf mounted on that North wall as it can handle a 20' throw and you wouldn't have to worry about a ceiling mount around the air duct... putting your equipment back there also means shorter video cable runs, which is a good thing.

Let us know more about what you want to be able to do in the room and we'll add more input.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the height under the air duct is about 7'. Unfortunately, I can't reroute the air duct. I had thought about doing that, but talked with a contractor who said it was way too expensive.

Todd - that's a good idea. Is there any way to do it without having to black out the windows permanently. Why would the screen have to be pulldown?

ekaplan1020

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
what does the air duct supply? is it a return duct, supply duct? does it only supply an outside wall register or outside return? is this room on an outside corner? if so that duct would not be a problem at all unless it contains other things like load bearing beams which is probably the case.

Contractors are always expensive , I am guessing 75% of the quote was labor maybe more like 90% , what area are you in maybe your close enough to someone here that could help you out, If you were in Oregon I would look at it for you

·
Registered
783 Posts
ekaplan1020...

I had the same similar obsticle as you in my basement, only I had 2 trunks running the length of the theater. Check out my sig or gallery for a picture of my finished product. I just painted my HVAC trunks flat black and an the drop ceiling up to them. There is a picture of the front of the theater (it's a little dark), and you can see how it turned out.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Quote:
Also, if there is a preferred color to paint the room.
Dark colors (black, grays) are best. Many paint the screen wall black (or use a fabric treatment) and may use another darker color (burgandy, greens, blues) in the balance of the room. The lighter the color, the more the light from the screen will bounce back on the screen and either wash out or change the colors on the screen.

Quote:
talked with a contractor who said it was way too expensive.
How much is that? Or more to the point, what is your budget on the room? People do great things with short money, but the advice is different in those circumstances.

I agree with the layout Todd proposed. Might want to think about adding a door (solid core) to the bottom of the stairwell to help with sound containment.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not really sure what the duct is used for...it is an old house and we did not discuss what it is used for...it may be some sort of load bearing beam. Thanks for the offer to look at it, but it is in Iowa. A ways from Oregon. :)

As for the budget...

Because it is an old house, it is a fixer-upper. I have budgeted about 8,000 total including the equipment.

When we were discussing how a theater would work, someone suggested that it may work putting the projector on the west wall and use the coves as a component area and a DVD shelf, then using the east wall as the screen wall. Is there anyway to make that work? If I was to wall off the south section from the edge of the duct (or whatever that is) would that help? That would make the room about 10' wide, making it 22'x10'. There is still the problem with the windows. We talked about maybe putting a thick black curtain across the south wall so that when the theater is not being used, we can open the window section up (when listening to music or whatever). I really appreciate everyone's help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MaximAVS - your theater is excellent...how big is your screen? How wide is that area? Are the drop ceiling tiles painted or did you leave them white? I really like what you did with the windows.

·
Registered
726 Posts
When I say "black out the windows", I mean cover them completely with fabric or whatever so that no light gets through... make it a removable feature if you want to use those windows... like some really thick, oversized curtains.

The reason the screen would need to be a pulldown is because you don't have enough wall space and your screen will be in front of at least one of those windows.

10' is really, really narrow... that's why I had ruled that out. How many people do want to be able to watch the HT?

·
Registered
783 Posts
ekaplan1020...

Thanks for the compliment!! The theater is 10'4" x 20'6". The attached lounge area is 12'x13'. The screen is 96" wide by 52" high, and is made with 1x3 framing and then BlackOut cloth from JoAnn's stretched across it. I painted the front wall flat black instead on making a black frame. The ceiling tile I bought in black from USG (same people that supply HD and Lowes with drop ceiling supplies). USG does not sell directly to customers, but if you call them they will give you the name of a local distributor. You can even have HD or Lowes special order tiles for you. I didn't want to mess around with painting tiles, and it's no more money for the black ones. The windows have small mini binds with some "groovy" fabric curtains I made. The paint in the theater is a dark red called Merlot, and the Lounge is a purple color and called Grape Juice.

The trunks down the theater aren't really that noticeable(sp) when your watching a movie or have drinks. I know of a few people who went throught the expense of have the HVAC truncks moved to open their theater up, but I could justify the cost to do it. So I just left them exposed and painted them flat black, and they pretty much dissappear into the ceiling!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.