AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone -

I hope you guys can help me because after doing a bunch of research on cross-overs, I haven't made progress.

I am building two tower speakers. Each has two 4 ohm 8' subwoofers which will be driven through a dedicated 4 ohm amp that is connected to the LFE on my Denon 4520ci and is limited to a 120hz outgoing signal into the external amp.

Next, I have one 4 ohm mid-range as well as one 4 ohm tweeter in each speaker.
Please note that the mid and tweeter speakers are rated at 150 (tweeter) and 250 Watt (mid) RMS.

My external amp is 8-channels at 350W clean RMS but is not able to cross-over on a channel basis so it will be getting the 120hz signal from the AVR and I will power 4 separate 8' woofers (two per cabinet) + two 15 inch, bridged at 8 ohm.

That's background...

I am going to connect my mid and tweeter directly to the AVR using the front left and right channels (one per tower). I need a cross-over that starts at 100hz for the mid-range speaker and ends the mid-range signal around 5k to 7khz (open to advice). I then need the high-range signal cross-over at 5khz to 7khz up to 20khz at least.

I can't find anything that is passive that I can connect between through the speaker wires between the Denon 4520ci and the speakers. Everything I have seen starts at 500 to 700hz for the mid and 3.5khz for the high.

Do I need to build one myself?

Total Watts going through these will be no more than 350 Watts but probably more in the 200 to 250 Watt range and I would like those inside the cabinet.

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I send out the full signal to the speakers via the AVR and through the cross-over, that should be fine as long as the wattage doesn't melt the cross-over.

This is certainly not the most efficient way since the AVR is still pushing the conplete signal to the front-left and front-right speakers and since I am just using mud and high frequencies, wasted energy is used leading to a hotter amp.

Anything else?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts